I’m not sure if it’s IBS?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went to the Dr 4 times in the past 6 months. I've been told its IBS but I don’t know what to think anymore . I’ve tried everything diet changed, exercise, and laxatives I still can't go that much! I've had also been getting excruciating pain in the middle of the night to the point I throw up! I'm not able to drink as much water I feel bloated from it and I throw up so I have to try and get at least 4 16oz water bottles I day I get super sick if I exceed that or else I throw up! I can only eat about 1,500 or else I get super bloated and more sick. I see a GI next Tuesday but until then I’m not sure what I need to do!:( I’m also 23 I’ve been super healthy up until September of last year. I used to have nausea, acid reflux, vomiting, and fullness in the past 6 months as well.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Edited

I can't drink water on its own without throwing up so I add juice with no sweeteners in. Choose one with red fruits in. Sainsburys does a summer fruits one. I just have it weak. Eat ginger biscuits regularly first thing before getting up and after tea. I would also log your worse symptoms and see if it's also hormonal. I have the depo contraceptive to stop hormonal changes. Also add oats to your diet. I have an breakfast oat biscuit in the morning which helps.

• Posted

I will have to try the tea and biscuits! I'm also on bc control pill but I have had symptoms months before I started in them!

• Edited

The pill doesn't put your hormones on a level all month. The depo stops you having periods so your hormone levels are the same all month.

• Edited

This is a long shot, but I had similar symptoms for more than six months at the end of last year, and was finally diagnosed with something a bit unusual, which has only recently started being talked about.

For some reason, this site doesn't support the name of the condition - I had two posts deleted for trying to mention it a while back. The usual reason for doing this is that someone has been using the site to publicise a book on the condition, though I haven't seen any evidence of this on here.

I'll therefore paraphrase it. It's when the normal bacteria that live in your colon get into your small intestine. Although they're your own bugs, they can cause havoc once they get in the wrong place. The main symptom in my case was industrial quantities of gas. Although my abdomen wasn't distended, I felt totally bloated all day - as if I was full right up to my neck. Some days I could barely swallow anything, and started worrying that the problem was in my throat or oesophagus. It was even worse during the night, when I'd regularly be woken by severe gas pains around 2am, which would then keep me awake the rest of the night.

I felt so bloated I could hardly eat anything. It was as if I was revolted by food - especially meat, which I couldn't swallow at all. I'm usually a quite greedy person who hates to waste food, but I'd often cook a meal then throw it straight in the bin before even plating up. Even if I got it to the table, I'd only be able to eat a few mouthfuls before I started retching. In the course of six months I lost 12kg/26lb. (Fortunately, I had it to lose!)

I also had another weird symptom, which was the clincher for my GP. Early on, I started to notice a faint smell of ammonia in my stools (not my urine). I thought I was going crazy at first - I'm a former nurse and I know bowel movements can't smell of ammonia! However, as it got gradually stronger, I realised I wasn't mistaken.

When I finally went to see my GP I was quite hesitant about mentioning the ammonia smell as I thought he'd say I was imagining it. However, that was the thing he jumped on, as he said it was a distinctive sign of the condition. He didn't bother with any tests - which I gather are unreliable anyway - but just put me straight on an eight-day course of an exotic antibiotic normally used for tropical diseases. He said that if that worked, it would prove I'd had the condition.

The upshot was that the gas symptoms disappeared completely by the end of the course, and my appetite returned to normal. However, the doctor warned me that this tends to be a long-term thing, and it was likely to return from time to time. I was lucky in that I tolerated the antibiotic very well - though I gather from other forums that not everybody does. This at least means that if - or probably when - it comes back, I can be treated again.

If you'd like me to, I can send you a private message via this site, giving the four-letter acronym by which the condition is known in the English-speaking world, so you can look it up elsewhere.

• Edited

hi Megan, i think this sounds like gastritis, you need to find out what it is then other gastritis sufferers may be able to help you to cope. i saw something similar on a doctor's programme and after medication the sufferers symptoms eased off. you could try antacids in the meantime!

• Edited

Update the pain is so excruciating at night 3-6am I’ve taken laxatives just in the past hour I’m on the verge of getting nauseated and wanting to to throw up I have a heat bag it’s not helping to much my appointment is in two weeks but Monday I’m calling to see if there are cancellations! My stomach keeps distending by the inches! I’m 5’0 with an 42 inch waist and I look so pregnant to some!:\ I’ve been drinking water when I can so i don’t get sick right away! The pain is also all over my left side!!!

• Edited

ring 111 now and get some advice now! please don't leave this you sadly sound very poorly oh and bless you and good luck. xx

• Edited

Another Update: I went into the ER this morning with more abdominal pains I was vomiting last night to and that seemed to relieve the abdominal pain for a about an hour! They did a CT scan this morning and checked my blood results and everything is normal? I feel stupid for going in so many times in the past month to find nothing wrong with me even though there clearly is?! Are they not checking my results thoroughly am i just too young so they think ill bounce back because I'm only 23?! I feel like I'm going crazy!

• Posted

hi Megan, do you have gastritis? it's just upper stomach pain can be caused by this! failing that or hpylori?

• Posted

Not that I'm aware of! I've been to my primary once and the ER twice in the last couple of weeks and nothing is coming up irregular at all. I do see a GI next week! I'm starting to think maybe it’s food allergies but not exactly sure as to what to! Unless they didn't go through my results thoroughly just because I’m young or they genuinely didn't see anything. So for now my abdominal pain is an unknown cause!

• Edited

hi Megan, i can only suggest you keep your diet bland, write down what you eat and any problems with any particular foods. good luck!

• Edited

Results are normal still hurting here and there! I’m seeing my GI on Monday hopefully I’ll get answers!!! I’m still as confused as to why I’m not passing stools as much as I’ve been eating without a bowel obstruction in sight! I’ve passed a decent size stool today after about 8 days of not going!

• Edited

OMG and they're is nothing amiss? rubbish - push for the truth!

• Posted

I'm thinking that too maybe it could be my liver too my AST- SGOT levels in my blood went from 15 to 42 in span of a week I'm not sure if that has relevancy! everything in my blood count seemed okay otherwise!

• Edited

hmm could be, but they must advise you either at your doctor's or hospital what you can now do. good luck maybe you'll get some sense of what this is!

• Posted

its still apparently nothing but I've

been better but I still get this recurring bloat until the point I throw up because of how constipated I am!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.