I'm not sure if this is shingles

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am a 43 year old female and I think I have shingles. It all started w/what I thought was the flu on Christmas night. My husband brought it home. I had a flu shot so, I never went to the dr. I was sick w/fatigue and body aches about 8 days. Then it turned into a sinus infection, sick w/that 2 weeks. Since I have underlying problems w/my sinuses I was on heavy prednisone for a week and antibiotics for 14 days. At that time my dr. did a CBC and my red blood cells were out of the normal range. I still wasn't a hundred percent and my sinus infection had cleared. So, my dr. ran a test for mono that came back positive, said I was on the tail end. So, five weeks after this all started I have self diagnosed the flu, had a severe sinus infection and mono. The day before I received mono diagnosis I started getting a rash that looks like a shingles rash along one dermatome, pain in my calf and a pain in my arm that went to my index  finger (the finger was also cold compared to the others on the same hand) all on the same side. I had scratched the bumps as I never thought shingles, as the day went on the burned and I felt very fatigued. The next day two more appeared on the other side on my trunk and several single bumps on different parts of my body. I have seen shingles  bumps and these did not have the exact appearance more like chicken pox. I have read that shingles can disseminate but, it's rare. The bumps on my trunk are starting to go down but, the numbness/pain in my finger, overall itching including my hands/ feet and pain in calf is awful. I haven't gone to the dr. for this as my medical bills are piling up and part of me just thinks I'm going crazy. Any advice is appreciated.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cinnelly, I could not tell when exactly you started breaking out with shingles but bills or no bills you must get to the doctor fast. They will give you antiviral meds that you need asap!! You also need opioid pain meds and some other medicine. Please call the doctor now. Diane. 
  • Posted

Hi Cinnelly   Sorry to hear of your suffering.  This forum is here to share our experience and what has helped us. We cannot diagnose, only your doctor can do that. It is very important you see your health care provider for proper diagnosis and proper medication. If it is shingles, you need antivirals within 72 hours plus pain medication... you also need lots of rest, no stress. Recommend taking Lysine, vit D, Vit C, multivitamin and Vit B12.   Hope to hear from you again on your recovery 
  • Posted

Dear Cinnelly,

I am so sorry you are suffering with one illness after another.

It is difficult to say with certainty if it is Herpes Zoster-Shingles. Obviously, you need to see a clinician to know for sure. The flu, sinus infection, Prednisone and EBV/Mono, decreased your immunity.

You certainly could have dissemination of Herpes Zoster-Shingles, in which case you should be in a hospital.

You need to be seen, no matter what! Where do you live?

Also, may I ask your age, please?

I am a nurse practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years and twice in my right eye.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry. My question to you is it ok to get the shingles vaccine when

I’m still suffering withnPHN. I got shingles in July and still suffering with thigh feeling frozen and burning pain which comes and goes.    Still have deep dark rash on my thigh and groin . I’m

Wondering if I’ll ever be over this. I am 76 but HealthWise other than this I’m good ...

• Posted

I am 43. I guess the reason for my questions were to see if I even need to see another dr. as I already have the EBV diagnosis.  I did go to a clinic and the dr. was no help at all. Offered steroids for my finger and said my rash did not look like shingles but, could not tell me what he thought it was. It was starting to crust over so, he couldn't get a sample. It's been one week since they popped up and they are flattened out, tender to the touch and the whole area is sensitive.

My ENT recommended a neurologist and mentioned an infectious disease dr. I don't know which one will better treat my symptoms. Any ideas?

• Posted

It’s sounds like allergic reaction. Have you changed laundry detergents, or added anything to your laundry. I resently  added borax . I have used it in the past with out a problem. It took about a month , before I started breaking out. It felt like shingles,  The itch & burning felt exactly the same .  But it looked more like measles. And spread mostly over  entire body. My docter figured it out as soon as I gave in to go see him. The same nerve endings as with shingles were  the cause of the same pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.