I'm not sure whether to continue with this - day 3

Posted , 6 users are following.

I did two days on 12.5mg and am now up to 25mg. I've got all the heightened anxiety symptoms which I know are to be expected. I'm mostly worried about coming off this drug in the future and I'm wondering whether this is even the right thing for me. My anxiety is bad at the moment so I feel I have to do something but I also wonder whether I'm just storing up future problems for myself. I just need some advice or encouragement.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

i had the same dilemma  iv stayed on 25mg for the past 6months.

but I felt I needed a rest for my body and mind.

i will cross that bridge when I want to come off it.

im just enjoying having my life back at the moment without feeling anxious 24/7 

good luck cattia 

• Posted

Hi cattia,

I was on Sertraline for just over a year for anxiety, I started on 50mg then after a month went to 100mg, first time I

had been on any type of AD, after about eleven months, I decided with my GP to come off it, went back down to 50mg for a month then down to 25mg for two weeks, I've now been off it for a month and feel like my old self, keep going with it, it's only the real horror stories people write about, and as for coming off, I had no problems, maybe just lucky, but as I said it's the horror stories you tend to hear about, good luck, it was the best thing for my anxiety I ever did !! 

• Posted

I was on sertraline for 4 years 200mg tapered down to 25mg the last 4 months. I have not taken any for 9 weeks. No major withdrawel problems felt the best I ever felt coming off this med until week 6. The past 3 weeks have been explosions of the mild withdrawel I felt in the first weeks. Not to alarm you just sharing my own experience, just keep a diary it creeps up on you. I've been for medical today and had it confirmed I'm in height of withdrawel and trust me I never seen it coming x good luck

• Posted

Ah no Julie I'm sorry to hear this!!!i really want to get completely off this AD but I also know it's not a quick thing process and I want to do it the nicest way possible for me body and mind!im currently on 50mg which I half every day so 25mg a day what do you think I should do half the tablet again so would be like 1.25 a day or take the half tablet every other day ??

• Posted

Thank you so much to you both, this encouragement is just what I need today. Needing a rest for my body and mind is just how I feel. It's also really encouraging to hear stories of people who have successfully discontinued when ready to do so. I really hope this is going to provide me with some relief.

• Posted

Hi Cattia, I've been on sertraline 50 mgs for 30 days and I'm only just feeling the full benefits. The first couple of weeks were rough with extreme exhaustion but now I feel stabilised and upbeat. I no longer wake in the mornings with bleak thoughts and mostly I'm getting on with my day. I definitely feel happier. Anxiety wasn't a problem beforehand, I was just very fatigued and low so thought I'd give them a go. I'm very glad I did as my symptoms are improving, albeit chronic fatigue will always plague me, but my mood is good. I do need a sleep every afternoon and I exercise (walking) most days and eat a good diet. 

Good luck in giving them a go. Remember they are not for life, just to help your mood and anxiety improve. I've tried st john's wort, all sorts to no avail. I needed sertraline for boosting my serotonin levels and I believe this is what they've done. Don't believe all the scare stories, we're all individuals!

• Posted

Thank you Jane, I'm really glad this is helping you. I hope that soon I will be able to post a positive story of my own. Not feeling it so far, I feel worse at the moment but hanging in there.

• Posted

You'll be fine. I started on 25 mgs (cutting the 50 mgs in half) as I was concerned about the side effects, then on the fourth day just bit the bullet and took it whole. I felt like a zombie for a couple of weeks, even by the start of the 3rd week, still groggy and exhausted. It's only in my fourth week I have found a good stable balance and all the while I feel I'm improving. I'm certainly sleeping better, although at the start I had unsettling dreams and during the day some intrusive negative thoughts which now seem to have gone. I feel a ton better! Believe me, the thought of taking any anti-depressant was not on my wish list, but I'm pleased I've stuck with them as I'm starting to feel like the old me! If you feel rough or anxious in the next couple of weeks then post on your link and we will guide you through! Meanwhile, stick with them!

• Posted

Hiya Cattia,I started taking sertraline around 3 yrs ago,at a time in my life when I was suffering really badly with anxiety and depression!id tried everything excercise healthy eating natural herbal tablets St. John's warts if I remember rightly but after all failed to make me feel any better bout life I went to the docs and she prescribed 100mg of sertraline and omg!!!i couldn't bare how they made me feel so went back to docs who lowered my dose to 50mg which I took for a few weeks had the horrible shakes and sweats while my body was adjusting to them but they did lift my mood considerably,I've been on them for 3years now and in that time have tried to come off them but omg I feel like death and can't function properly !!!sonfor the last 18months I've been on half a tablet every day which is 25mg I really want to come off them completely as I've put 2 stone on in weight and am also in a mouth better place in my life,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.