I'm on 3 meds and don't feel any difference.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with stage 1 COPD (mild) last year. I first tried Ventolin (short acting salbutamol), then added Spiriva for some months and now, on top of these, I have been using Symbicort since last week. What p*sses me off is i don't feel any difference! My theory is that it's more of an emphysema than bronchitis (I don't cough) and those meds don't really act on emphysema. Am I right? To top it off my GP says he's not really surprised about the Symbicort since the first 2 meds didn't work...  Anyway, some days i feel very bad (difficult breathing) and I don't get that someone can feel that bad being only stage 1! Should i get a pulmonary CT scan in order to know if it's emphysema? I'm very disturbed by all this! Oh yes, I stil smoke (1 pack instead of 2/day). Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Well the first thing to do if you want to feel better is stop smoking. I am on spiriva, sirdupla and ventolin and it took some time for it to get in my system and for me to feel better. I would speak to your dr and get a second opinion if you feel the need to. Good luck
  • Posted

I have emphysema and Spiriva and Symbicort have helped me a great deal.

Your last sentence answers your own question:  you're not going to improve your breathing while you keep on smoking!     

Emphysema can be diagnosed with a spirometry test, which I assume you've had, which includes a separate test after using ventolin:  if the ventolin doesn't improve your lung function you don't have asthma, you have emphysema.  It may be possible to have both ..... I think .....

You're wasting your money on inhalers if you're going to keep smoking.

Have you been referred to rehab?  If not, ask for it

• Posted

Hi ,in my opinion if keep smoking ,,,,no medication will help you feel better ,stopping smoking ,,COMPLETLY is what you need to do to help yourself ,don't sit back and expect the. Medication to do it all for you ,,,you have to pro active to feel better ,,,,no smoking and medication and exersise will help ,you ,and will help you getting worse,
  • Posted

Hi

I know how you feel.

All the medication I have been given for COPD as not worked at all, at least it doesn't seem to have.

I feel very tired at times and can hardly get out of bed. Its got to the point where I have just have to except it and get on with my life, no matter how hard it is to do. Sorry I am not any help. The only thing I can say about you smoking is not alot really. I still smoke, about 14 aday. I don't want to stop, and my doctor attitude is, if you don't want to stop there is no point in trying to make you. I have tried once. It made me so ill with problems breathing and trying to cough, and I mean trying to cough, that I gave up on the idea. Not really PC I know.

Best wishes and good luck. If you do ever find a medication that works for you, could you please let me know.

• Posted

The reason you were "ill" when you stopped smoking is because your lungs started to work again and bring up all the muck that the cough suppressant qualities of nicotine had been retaining in your lungs:  exactly what gives us COPD and other conditions!

Of course the medication won't work if you keep smoking.  Nothing to do with "PC" whatever you mean by that, it's just common sense, no medication can prevail against the effects of nicotine in your lungs.

• Posted

You have to help yourself not just sit back and expect medication will do all the work for you ,

stop smoking ,and exersise ,

if you can't /won't do these two things ,then GPS ,,,,WILL HAVE NO PATIENCE WITH YOU ,

• Posted

100% correct!   Let's hope he's listening and takes responsibility for managing his condition soon before it's too late.
    • Posted

HI

You are absolutely right, in everything you have said, and quite frankly, what everyone as said.

My medication as not worked, not because I am still smoking, but because I have other serious health problems. My doctor as actually taken me of any inhalers, with the consent of the consultant.

Thankfully, I have a very understanding doctorredface

• Posted

Whatever serious health problems you have, smoking won't improve them either.   There is no medical condition on earth that would not improve if you stopped putting hundreds of different poisons into your body every day.    I think you are in denial of your nicotine addiction and your doctor is either supporting you in that, which would be totally irresponsible, or you are misunderstanding him/her.

You are very confused:  you say you agree with everything said on this forum about smoking but then totally contradict yourself by saying your smoking isn't what's preventing the medication from working.

• Posted

Hi ,I gave to say ,,,,I would still stop smoking as It affects a lot more illnesses than copd ,,,,,stop looking for an excuse to keep smoking ,your health won't improve as long as your smoking ,

wishing you good health ,

• Posted

Hi raspout I totally agree with jude, smoking increase the damage to your lungs, if you want the meds to work GIVE UP! You will regret it when you are hooked up to an oxygen bottle with a severly curtailed life x take care
  • Posted

Hi raspout,

DING, DING, DING...You won't believe how much better you'll feel if you quit smoking. You gotta quit...that's why the medicine has a hard time opening you up. Try patches, I highly recommend vaping, try whatever works for you to qiut.Keep us posted..... ladyjack51

• Posted

Hi raspout, i first tried ventolin and found I was taking a lot, so went back to Gp & he gave me breezhaler once a day long acting device....still felt out of breath & went back again...he gave me Serevent inhaler to take as well....it's taken time, months in fact ,however I am feeling better . Now taking anti-histamine daily as well.....unfortunately I'm going to get on the stop smoking band wagon too. I stopped 12 years ago, after I'd seen my Dad die with COPD after only stopping smoking when he had to use oxygen and also my breathing was getting so  bad. Stopping smoking, just like stopping drinking or eating what you like will not make you live forever, however it will greatly increase your chance of living longer without disability. I loved my ciggies, 30 a day girl I was.....if I hadn't stopped when I did ....probably wouldn't be here now & I'm 59 & plan to be around a lot longer....you know what you have to do smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.