I’m on 40mg 2x a day on pantoprazole.

Posted , 4 users are following.

how to wean off pantoprazole, im on a high dose 80mg a day

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi.

evreyone reacts to stopping meds in a different way.

i didnt stop nexium suddenly. i reduced the amount.

when that felt good i started reducing the days i had it and make the gaps

eventually on lowest dose i could have without symptoms i stopped.

i had some heartburn and symptoms for approx a Month. now pretty much back to how i used to be.

• Posted

thank you, im just on a high dosage. i didnt need to be put on it. i'll need to wait till my esophagus is healed and then taper down. but being on this high dosafe scares me !

• Posted

I tried to wean off omeprazole so my doctor prescribed omeprazole powder. It came in 5mg packets, and since it was a powder i could control exactly how much i decreased my dosage each day. Unfortunately for me, even after slow and controlled weaning, the acid reflux came roaring back and I had to back on it. My point is, see if there's a powder form of pantoprozole. If there is, that's a very effective way to wean yourself off.

• Posted

did your doctor not give you a plan of how to taper off!?? i was wondering if fluctuating up and down to a slow wean till the body is used to taking a certain milligram . being on 80 mg scares me

• Posted

Yes. Do not taper up and down. Do a slow taper down. Decrease daily dose a little bit at a time over the course of 3-4 weeks.

• Posted

i will call my doctor to see if there is a powder form . ill keep you posted, thank you for your advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.