I'm on day 8 of fluoxetine.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My daytime seems to be filled with no appetite, sadness, nausea and no hope. Nighttime I tend to be more myself. I dread going to sleep at night for fighting through the next day, even though I am more myself at night. 8 days I know is so early into the medicine I know. I took it years ago and it worked I can't remember why I came off though. Thoughts appreciated!!!!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Deanne - I know “exactly” what your going through.   What you are experiencing is normal and expected.  Don’t give up!!  The side effects last anywhere between 4-8wks.  I know, I know that sound horrendous, but we all go through it is some form.  Your almost there, usually around week 4 you’ll start to feel improvement, hopefully sooner for you.  After these initial weeks you be able look back on this.  You may want to incorporate some supporting activities.  For example: Exercise (walk or run), Avoid caffeine or booze, Eat healthy, Sleep, Mindfulness and Meditation, Yoga, etc.   Also, maybe your doctor can prescribe something temporarily to help calm you down when it gets bad.  

One more thing.  After you get past this initial phase, the medication will further bake-in over a few months.  I was told to expect the full benefits at 3-4months out.  So each day you should be improving.   Note, I think I just hit week 9.  It’s like night and day better.  Not perfect yet, but waaaaay better.  I wish you well...  

So you don’t think I’m a bot, I just shared the above with another poster recently.  In anycase I hope this finds you well and helps answer your questions.  

• Posted

Thank you! It is so hard at night my family say she’s back and in the morning is like where did she go! Thanks so much for the encouraging words!!!!
    • Posted

Exactly my experience.  Mornings are the most vulnerable time for me.  I’m still working through this.  But improving.  I think the meds just need a little more time to do their thing.   Wishing you the best.  
    • Posted

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks on this medicine. It’s so hard not to call the doctor and say they aren’t working. When they probably are working. This is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to go through!!!
    • Posted

I know all to well what your going through.  I feel for you. These initial side effects are uncomfortable to say the least. But they will dissipate and go away over the next few weeks.  Consider all those supporting techniques to help cope (medication, yoga, exercise, breathing etc).  Also, check with your doctor to see if he might give you something  (some do) to help you through this phase.  Keep reaching out yo me to talk.  
    • Posted

The doctor did give me something to calm me down but I feel like I’m so worked up it’s having a hard time working. I’m at the age where I’m dreading the empty nest several years early. I think ahead way too much! I have an appointment with a counselor tomorrow I’m praying that helps!!! Thanks for listening  even though this is weird to me I have no idea who you are!smile
    • Posted

LoL.   When my anxiety is in “full bloom” my mind races and my thoughts are all over the place.  I have work hard to calm myself.  It’s a trip!  The mind is incredibly powerful, and can be vulnerable too. 

I believe most of my anxiety/panic stems from my work.  I think ahead and I get worked up.  The Prozac certainly helps, but not 100%.  I’m in the process of changing my work environment, but it’s going to take some time.   

• Posted

Deanne how are you doing now? I'm in my second week and I feel I'm going crazy! Shaky all the time I feel like even my brain is shaking😔 and can't barely sleep and I have 4 month old who wakes up often, doc gave me xanax to calm down but I really try not to take it because it's very addictive.

• Posted

I am doing pretty good however my doctor switched me to viibryd. I kept staying nauseous and throwing up on Prozacsad  Xanax can definitely help but with a 4 month old that’s not easy! Just keep in close contact with your doctor so and I pray they he or she knows what you need. Viibryd is my 4th medicine to try since April! Hang in there!!!
  • Posted

Hey I know what ya mean.

I just posted about this because I couldn't continue with the drug -- even though it was in week 2.

During week 1 I felt great and did everything. I wasn't nervous or worried or panicky, but by week 2 I felt disgusting. I stopped taking Prozac a couple of days ago, and went back on 10 mg of cipralex.

The Prozac certainly did calm me down, however, I am not able to go through 8 - 10 weeks (or more) of devastating side effects before it gets better.

I'm at a complete loss and am back to my old anxious self.

I hope you're able to get through this. At this point I am fed up with SSRIs because I've felt exactly the same only with the horrible side effects. I'm going to try something natural, but my anxiety certainly is going to try and bring me down.

I wish you the best of luck, we can get through this ??

• Posted

Yes we can get through this you are right! It does take time and patience I’m on my 4th different medication since April. My doctor put me on viibryd so far so good but it’s been a heck of a time getting where I am and I still have moments and have a way to go!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.