I'm on day 9/10 of my antibiotics but the pain has come back! What should I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had bacterial tonsillitis 9 days ago and I went to the doctor and got some antibiotics to be taken for ten days, four times a day. I thought it was looking incredibly better, almost all of the white spots had disappeared and there's only minimal swelling now. However, they have to be taken on an empty stomach, and I ended up eating at the time I was due my tablets, so I waited for 1 and a half hours, but as I was waiting the pain started to come back! So I've taken them and an pain killer. But surly having only one days worth of antibiotics left this shouldn't be happening!? I'm worried, do I need more antibiotics or do I leave it? I'm just unsure what to do. And the pain killers aren't kicking in so I'm sat here with pain that should've disappeared

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

i would go back to your GP and tell him whats happening i had bacterial tonsilitis for about a year and nothing worked even the strongest anti biotics my GP was considering putting me on an IV to see if that would work instead he said i dont want you to build a resistance to the anti biotics so i had them removed in February. Although my surgeon didnt do it properly so i am due to go back in for surgery tomorrow at his expense as it has been a painful experience. So i would suggest going back to your GP and telling him whats happened maybe try something else i only had to take 2 a day with all of the anti biotics so 4 times a day is a lot. I had Augmentin then i had cefaclor and then i had bactrim double strength so my body has been through a lot lately and i also have epilepsy so its been a crazy ride in the last year. 

I wish you well and hope you get some answers soon! i found eating cups of ice helps numb the pain a little i hope this helps smile 

• Posted

The infection has definitely not cleared and you probably need a stronger doze of

antibiotics. Go back to your GP soonest. If you are a recurrent sufferer you may need to look at alternative therapies (Reflexology or acupressure)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.