I’m on steroids and methotrexate. I’m so thirsty all the time! Is this normal?

Posted , 11 users are following.

is it normal to be so thirsty all the time?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I can't answer about Methotrexate but I think it would be sensible to have your blood sugar checked. I know thirst can be a symptom of high blood sugar.

• Posted

Agree with Susan. Steroids work against insulin to raise blood sugar. If you are visiting the washroom frequently and are constantly thirsty, have your blood and urine checked.

• Posted

If you are on steroids it is recommended you have your blood glucose tested regularly. I have the HbAIc blood test every few months.

• Posted

No, it isn't normal unless it is very hot and you aren't drinking enough to make up for sweating. But as all the others have said, if you are also going to the bathroom a lot, it definitely needs checking by your doctor with blood sugar checks.

• Posted

Hi Anne, for me it is normal, since being on steroids I have 15 cups of tea, water and green tea a day. I have just had blood sugar levels checked and they are fine. I thought the body might be trying to get rid of the steroids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.