I'm on Tramadol slow release & have been for a good few years

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a bit worried because if I miss taking it I start getting withdrawal symptoms like flu like feeling and light headed etc.Now as well as these I'm on Gabapentin & Dr in recent letter has stated I suffer from Neuropathic pain, this is true but I also suffer ordinary very real pain due to OA in Spine,Hips etc, They already know I need 2 New Hips but won't put me on list for replacements as I'm too much of a risk. I don't know what to do as I'm spending roughly 5 nights out of 7 in my chair downstairs rather than bed as I can't lay on my side or sleep on my back......Any suggestions?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephen

I'm sorry you are having so many problems

I think the first thing is the Naproxen......go and discuss it with your GP, tell him the symptoms if you miss one of them an what about trying another anti inflammatory.

I'm on Naproxen twice a day {12 hours apart} and have missed it by mistake  but dont get those symptoms.

Which doctors letter did you see.....a consultants letter or a GP's letter.?

As you know I'm sure it is the GP that deals with OA until it comes to surgery timesad I'm assuming you are in the UK??????

So once again its an assumption.......you need 2 new hips {so did I sad} so thats the consultant that has said that is it?

What about going back to your GP and asking for a second opinion and see another consultant and if he says the same  ....welll I'm not sure where you go from there but I think that is worth it. but tell your GP about the side effects of naproxen.

Lack of sleep is bad.....I dont get a lot of sleep either but not as bad as that.

GP first about naproxen then ask him to refer you to a different consultant and see what they say.

Sorry cant be more help

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Stephen you don't say you're taking Naproxen so I'm unsure as to whether you take it or not. I have rheumatoid arthritis and take Naproxen 3 times a day as well as codeine. As long as you are prescribed something to protect your stomach Naproxen could help. It did for me. Eileen is right, ask for a 2nd opinion. It's your right. Can I also just say Tramadol is an opiate and can be addictive which is why you are suffering withdrawal symptoms if you miss a dose. Don't try and stop them without professional help. You'll feel even worse!
  • Posted

Hi

I'm sorry thats my mix up......how did I read Naproxen for tramadoleek.....it was early this morning....must not have been properly wakend

I cant tolerate tramadol......it spaces me out.

Yes Matron is right its an opiate so dont try to stop it on your own. Get back to the GP.  He should be able to change it {at his speed} to something that suites you better.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi everyone smile,

Thank you for the replies so far from eileen64 & Matron. I'm not on Naproxen i'm on Tramadol slow release I think it's called Maxitram,they tried to take me off of them and replace them with Ordinary instant release Tramadol but they didn't work for some reason & they put me back on the Maxitram then I developed restless legs syndrome and they put me on Amitriptyline but that made it worse so they've plumped for Gabapentin & just increased to 200mg 3 x daily with the instruction that in one week if no better to increase to 300mg 3x daily if I have to then report back and they will give me 1x 300mg tab to replace the 3 x100mg ones . Anyway my question was really related to the Maxitram, as I say I've been on them for a few years now and suffer withdrawal flu type symptoms when I miss a dose or am late taking them. Surely there's something else I can take that wouldn't have these unfortunate effects but because of the discomfort of laying on my side I sleep in my chair....It's my G.P that tells me I cannot be considered for the Op due to my being a risk & that the Hospital wouldn't consider me for the list anyway. Seeing the results on some of the local people I'm not sure it would be a good idea if I got it done anyway confused. I talked to a little elder lady who had both done and still can't bend to pick coins off of the floor

• Posted

Hi Stephen

Have you actually seen a consultant yet?

If you havent ask for a referral to the hospital and you should see an orthopaedic surgeon.

He might have a completely different view to your GP and its your right to have a referral if you want one.

If the surgeon says no to the THR well you are no worse off.

After my 2 THR's I was still having problems with my back and he said he would like me to go to the pain clinic......something to do with funding he couldnt refer me so he said I'll write to your GP and ask her to refer you to a pain clinic. I'm copied into all the letters so when I got the copy I thought.....right hopefully the GP will refer me soon. Got a call from her....make an appointment to come and see me??????

I went and she spent the time telling me it would be a waste of time going to a pain clinic....they cant do as much as they think they can due to lack of funding (she said).......anyone else might have accepted that but I thought no.......... my back consultant wants me to go and if it doesnt work so what...I'm no worse off. So I told her I would like a referral please.....eventually when my 10 mins was almost up and she was standing with her hand of the door handle {goodbye} and I was still sitting in the chair with no intention of moving until she did what the consultant said she eventually referred me ....to get me outcheesygrincheesygrin 

Let us know how you get on

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Thank you eileen64,

I'm due to go back to my GP for an update on drug usage ie: Gabapentin and if I need to get 300mg tabs so I will ask what the state of play is & if I can get a referal to a consultant. To be perfectly honest if I could control the pain & discomfort I would gladly forgo the op as I have personal experience having worked in the operating theatres as a technician 35 yrs ago added to our local hospitals reputation. It doesn't fill me with confidence sad. Thank you so much for your welcome advice, I hope your own condition continues to improve & your life is made a lot easier as a result.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Stephen.......Glad you are going to talk to your doctor.....you are one of these people that know a little bit too muchcheesygrin So I can understand you not wanting the op if you can avoid it.

My first was fine, my 2nd was fine until four weeks post op when doing an NHS exercise i fractured my greater trochanter boneeek

Nine months later still on 2 crutches!!!!!

To be honest...like you if I could get my pain under control and sleep properly I would be happy even with the 2 crutches even though they are a nuisance

I've got an appointment {not until Nov} with the pain clinic so hoping they can come up with something

Hope your appointment goes well

Eileen

• Posted

Oh! Eileen, I'm so sorry you have had such a time of it and yes you may well be right about me lol, When I was doing my training, part of my mid terms (so to speak) was to do a case study which meant taking a patients journey from Pre Op assesment clinic-entry onto the Ward- all vitals along the way, getting a case history from the start of the disease- Actually monitoring the actual operation and noting vitals at various stages- to recovery and back to Ward- then post Op assesment- Home Assesment with team- Patient discharge . My ladies Journey began in a damp basement flat in Cardiff in 1933. I passed my midterm with a distinction and it's stayed with me all these years and now I'm in the very same state needing both hips doing so If pain control could be achieved just think how many thousands of people could have a better quality of life before having to resort to surgerysmile. Research appears to have slowed to a trickle &  basic surgical techniques have hardly changed since the 1930's in some hospitals, need I say more?rolleyes. I do really wish I could wave a wand & get you the very best of care so that you could make a trouble free recovery, I can send healing thoughts and if you are of a religious persuassion I could include a few prayers. Every little helps (So they say)smile.

Kindest Regards,

Stephen

• Posted

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your good wishes and your prayers.

You are right if we could just get pain under control things would be so much different.

Reading your training its no wonder you feel like you do  LOL

I am a trained RNMS.....registered nurse for mentally subnormals.....Dont shoutsmile, I know there is no such thing anymore  Its learning difficulty.  But this was approx 36 years ago.....Its a 3 yr tgraining the same as a general nurse does....out in the community etc on the wards, sitting intermediates and other exams before finals. The big difference was where they really studied biology and things like that we skimmmed over it and we concentrated more on psychiatry, psychology and sociology.......but its surprising the bits and pieces you pick up along the way.......Even my drug assessment stand me in good stead all these years later. I quite frequently tell the GP NO thats contra-indicated.....I take anti convulsants......have had epilepsy since 18 months old but have been completly stable for the last 33 years. I drive etc and wont do anything to rock the boat Although I'm stable I still take some meds.  For instance your gabapentin is anti-convulsant {among other things} so in contra-indicated

The GP tried to give me amitryptilin {sp}?? I said thats contra-indicated....he said no its not....Humour me please and look it up. He came back and said ....well the higher dose is contra-indicated but its for depression and I'm giving you a lower dose as a muscle relaxant. So that should be OK.  Should? So it wont affect my tablets ....nothing is going to happen??? Well nothing is written in concrete.....Thats OK keep your prescription I wont take the chance  {LOL}

Anyway I hope you can get your pain under control and not have to have the op

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Thank you Eileen, I do understand where you're coming from when you say about your GP not taking your concerns & double checking without being badgered ( they don't like patients knowing these things you knowbiggrin. I was beginning to wonder where our Health service is heading as it's not getting any easier to get seen & treated the way you deserve I just hope the dedicated professionals take the reins & get it into some sort of apple pie order. That said I shall leave you to the rest of your eveningsmile. Nite nite fair lady

kindest Regards.

Stephen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.