I'm on Zopiclone and Sertraline but they aren't working?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am on Zopiclone 7.5mg temporarily and also Sertraline 50mg. I cannot stay asleep when I take this zopiclone at night. I don't understand. The first night I took it, I had a good 6 hours before I woke up and I felt so good the next day because its the most I've slept through the night in years. But then the day after I take another and am up in 3-4 hours. Then I seem to go into a phase of sleep after that awakening that feels like constant R.E.M sleep. I remember about 4 dreams a night and do NOT feel rested at all when I wake up. This problem is not caused by the Zopiclone because thats why I was prescribed it to help with this issue. Could someone shine some light on whats wrong with me? Why can I not stay asleep anymore?? I'm exhausted everyday and its getting me down.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would be interested to hear how your sleep problems started because your case sounds quite a bit like mine.  If it is anxiety related, then we are in the same boat. I too am able to go to sleep at night but wake up like clockwork in the middle of the night with my mind racing.  I have taken half a dozen or so different sleeping aids including those you mentioned.  They all have a similar story, work decent for a night or two then stop providing any benefit and only leave me with a hangover.  I quit pills altogether a few months ago and have never looked back.  

Hard to give any advice without knowing the cause of your sleep problems.  In any event, I think the best path is seeing a therapist that can help you work through the problem rather than relying on pills that don't work that well and can have negative longterm effects. 

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. It is anxiety related as I have generalized anxiety disorder. I'm glad that I'm not the only one not getting any relief off of the sleeping pills as I thought it was just me. I will see a theropist next week, thankyou smile

• Posted

You're definitely not alone.  For every person with issues similar to ours that has been helped by sleeping pills, there are 10 that didn't get any help or had their problems worsened by pills.  It's a great step to begin talking to so someone; GAD (my diagnosis also) affects many people and there is help for it.  

What has helped me more than anything is learning how to relax again, and being able to cope with those rough nights where the sleep is really bad.  If you don't fear a sleepless night, it will help you sleep better.   

• Posted

I'm the same tbh I've been on everything and practiced good sleep hygiene and nothing seem to keep me asleep and I wake every 1-2hours every night if it's a good night every 2-3 it really does suck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.