I'm only 21, could I have trigeminal neuralgia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

The first time I experienced this pain was back in February. I was sitting on the couch when out of no where I had this very intense stabbing pain in my first premolar? (I think that's what it's called) but it HURT. I've been through labor & NEVER in my life experienced this type of pain. It bothered me really badly for about a week or so then went away, I still felt little shocks every now and then but nothing like I had previously experienced. I started having really sharp sudden pains in my jaw again, but on the opposite side. I had the tooth pulled that bothered me before but it still is bothering me (little shocks) but on the opposite side I get the very sharp sudden pains. I am going to the dentist tomorrow for him to look at it. If he can't do anything, I am going to a neurologist to see if it is TN. I had a very bad attack tonight. It only lasted a couple seconds but that was enough for me... This hurts so bad... Even now I feel little electric shocks. sad what could this be?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marlee, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear you're in pain and I sympathise with you.

Yes, it does sound like TN and you're doing the right thing to see your GP. It's not always tooth related but by all means going to the dentist is always a safeguard just in case. 

Let us know how you get on. We all have different stories and medication on here. For me I've been a sufferer for over twenty years with remissions in between for 9months and in my opinion the best medication is Tegretol, but it's not suitable for everyone. This time it didn't work for me because of side effects so I ended up with Pregabalin. Now I'm in remission again. I did have a six yr gap and that was bliss.

Good luck 

best regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Thank you for replying to my question! I hope it isn't TN but I honestly don't know what this could be... I've had toothaches before & I can tell you, this is no toothache. I can tell it's a nerve. I just had my baby a month ago & I haven't been able to enjoy her because I have been in so much pain sad I hope someone can figure out what this is... This is absolute misery. I am really nervous when taking new medications (even antibiotics) so I really don't want to take any serious meds but I will if that means I won't have to deal with this for a while... I'm sure I've taken so much Tylenol I have destroyed my liver. Im sorry you are dealing with TN. I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone. sad
    • Posted

Hi, congratulations on your new born. Try not to worry I know it's not easy especially with a baby. The sooner you get a referral to a neurologist the better. I didn't really like going on strong medication either at first but if I had to choose doing without or taking meds I'd choose the latter. I used to be in excruciating pain, just like others, but after bypassing the side effects and then taking the meds regularly I didn't feel any the worse, just pain free and drowsy at night. 

No one knows what triggers off TN or why sufferers get it at different ages. Some Drs think it can be stress etc. in my case my Dr wasn't convinced at first that it was TN she was so sure it was tooth related but my dentist couldn't find anything wrong.

You could also request a referral to have an MRI scan too.

During my time on here I have also come across advice for different remedies, one was taking Cod liver oil capsules daily. The sufferer took these and her TN has not only gone it hasn't returned either. But don't forget it may not work for others. I was taking cod liver oil on and off before my TN returned. But now I'm in remission again I'm staying in them and I'll soon see if it's worked after my nine month break which will be round about March 2016.

When do you see your GP? And when you get time try and read through some of the cases on this forum. You may find it helpful.

Keep in touch, I'm so sorry you've had to go through this at such a young age.

Take care. 😊

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your pain. My TN started with a gum infection after a hygienist did a routine clean. I was prescribed Tegretol and it changed my life. It's working for me. I did take co codemol in between attacks.

The Tegretol needs time to work and if you can deal with some side effects they too disappear whilst your body adjusts. Roughly 3/6 mths. This is an awful condition but 10 months down the line I'm so much better. Still can't bite down on my jaw and have to keep my top and bottom jaw apart with my tongue. It's damaged one of my large molars. I lost a lot of weight as I couldn't eat. Find a medication that works and stick with it.

You can beat this by finding a way to manage it. My view is diabetics have to inject daily to survive. I have to take Tegretol to stay pain free and cope. You do what you have to. This can't be easy after having a baby but I assure you this will make you stronger mentally, if you survive child birth you will survive this. I have 2 kids so I can relate.

Good luck and take each day as it comes. High five yourself mentally after each day that you manage. A positive mind really helped me and I refuse to let TN control my life. You can do it 😁

• Posted

When i was first diagnosed with TN what i remember the doctor in hospital said it affect people after they reached 40 years old and it affect 70% women and 30% man you still very young for that and i m hoping the dentist wil say only tooth pain

Wish you well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.