I'm only 24 but I am measuring very high blood pressure

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I'm a 24 year old guy. I've rarely ever measured my blood pressure except for at the doctor but my office had this program where you could get your blood pressure checked for a chance to win a raffle so I did it and it read 155/90 and the nurse taking readings was like wow, that is very high and that I should get it checked out. Now I am 300 lbs and 6'1" so a bit overweight, but I have no idea what to do. Do I just go to the doctor and have him prescribe me medication?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

A bit overweight?

Do you really have no idea what to do?

300lbs at 6'1 puts you in the morbidly obese range and I would be surprised if high BP is the only thing it's doing to you.

Going to the doctor and taking pills will give you a solution to the symptom but the underlying problem is that you need to be around 100lbs lighter.

Look at your diet and lifestyle, eat less, move more.

• Posted

I know that diet and exercise is important but I just don't have the willpower for it to be honest. Like I typically don't go more than a day, let alone a few hours, without some form of fast food whether that's a bucket of fried chicken or a few big macs. Salads just don't cut it for my appetite. And in terms of "move more", that's just not in my agenda. I've never been into exercise and I'll be winded after a flight of stairs.

It really seems to me like just taking a pill is the more simple and comfortable solution.

• Edited

Hey there. I just wanted to say some things. First, you are relatively tall and some guys are just naturally bigger. I have broadish shoulders, but my bones are smaller than some men. Having said that, yes you are a bigger guy. Exercise is very important. Due to herniated discs in my lower back, Ive been out of the gym like three months now. I feel out of breath and my bp has gone up. Even of you dont do a ton of cardio or lift weights, go walking. Eat better. You can eat meat and carbs, but cut back on sodium and big macs. Even at 185-190lbs Im told i need to dial back on sodium. My bp is bad due to sodium and fried foods. There is no weight range. High bp doesnt play favorites. Im praying you are okay and make improvements. Im here fighting with you bro. God bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.