I'm overwhelmed

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with ptsd a month ago from an abusive ex of mine, and now I don't know what to do, or how to deal. It's been getting worse every day and I can't stand it the panic, confusion, fear, shame it's all to much to handle I don't know how to handle any of it and I feel like I'm drowning in my own mind. I just feel so helpless in it all and don't know how to cope with this.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I know exactly what you are going through. It isn't easy. I was diagnosed with PTSD a few years after I broke up with my ex. I was 16 at the time and was pretty much in a state of shock. I'm 21 now and still struggle with it.

I wish I could say it gets easier linearly and that it will go away. Some days are better than others. It's a rollercoaster.

I try to do things like meditate and I picked up weight lifting to get some of the built up energy out. If you have supportive family or friends, try to lean on them. Talking things out can be hard but it helps in the long run. I also write things down a lot in a journal and sometimes burn the pages. For some reason it feels like it lifts some of the agony.

I hope you can find ways to cope. I'm here if you need to vent.

• Posted

I appreciate that, and thank you for the kind words. My family and friends can't seem to grasp it but they try. I do have an appointment set to go talk to someone so I hope that helps and I will try your suggestions on how to deal with all the pent up energy, but let me ask you something that in all honesty it's difficult to ask at all, how do you deal with/ cope with or do you ever have feelings of overall worthlessness? ( I'm not saying you are either it's just hard to word the question and it's a feeling that keeps coming up)

• Posted

Most people won't get it unless they've been through it. It's taken a while for people to stop using trigger words around me and they still slip up now and then and it feels like daggers in my stomach. I hope your appointment goes well.

I try to deal with the worthlessness feeling by reminding myself of my accomplishments. I know they aren't related to what happened, but if I look at myself in a different light I am a warrior. I once tried killing myself when I was a young teen and ended up in a psychiatric hospital. But I am still here. I dropped out of high school due to an illness at 15 then started college at 16 and here I am about to get my bachelors in biochemistry. I am still here fighting. I have had terrible triggers from my past from people looking like my ex to having people in my classes that were directly related to the situation. I still made it. I am here. I have gotten good grades through all of it.

A lot of times in classes such as public speaking, I mentioned what I went through and told people how I try to cope and I have had many people thank me for sharing my experience.

If I can get through this so can you. Your accomplishments may not be the same as mine, but everyone accomplishes something, even if it is just staying alive. And staying alive and getting through things is a very admirable accomplishment.

• Posted

Wow. You are so inspirational and I get what you mean. I try to talk to my family and friends but there is always a disconnect, but I mean hey they're trying right?

That makes sense actually. You're very brave indeed for talking about your trauma so openly, but you're right I just have to fight through it and treat every little victory for the accomplishment that it is, thank you. It is actually a relief that this feeling is not something I'm going through alone and that others before me have found ways to handle it. Thank you so very much.

• Posted

It always helps to know you aren't the only one. Take care and feel free to reach out to me if you need someone to talk to.

• Posted

Aw gosh so sorry for you that sort of thing sickens my stomach! See if you can find either an abuse counsellor or rape crisis if you need it. See your doctor you need to find out if you'rs ok and I don't mean your mind! Let a female doctor check you out and tell them what has happened, take a friend with you if you have to. Look after you. You must.

• Posted

Hi Cass,

Sorry to read your post.  You should be so proud of yourself!  You have done an amazing thing and the hardest thing, by sharing your experience and seeking help!  Well done!  Not everyone has the courage to do that.  

Just wondered - did the person who diagnosed you, not give you any suggestions about treatment? Or what to do next?  You may find it helpful to get back in contact the service that diagnosed you to discuss your options.  If not, maybe seek advice from your GP and ask if they could make contact on your behalf.   I suspect there will also be a waiting list for treatment, so it might be helpful to find out/ discuss support options until then.

On a personal note, I would say, take one day at a time.  Small steps.  Set small goals, maybe that you will meet a friend for coffee. 

Good luck xx

• Posted

Thank you for the encouraging words. It is very comforting to hear them.

To answer your question, they really didn't tell me much, other than suggesting I start meds and talk to a therapist (both of which are underway but taking time.) They really weren't to help with information unfortunately. I may just do as you suggested and talk to my GP about other options as well.

The big thing I want to know I suppose is what you guys have been answering is how do you stop yourself from feeling so overwhelmed in the day to day stuff. Right now it seems like even the simplest of things is to much. But I'm beginning to see and understand that it's all in the small victories. Thank you

• Posted

Aw poor you, that's awful! You need to shout for help and now. It will make life easier I guarantee - go speak to your doctor, you may regain some of your life if you do and you do deserve that. Take it from a PTSD sufferer who is now seeking more support it does get easier but it takes time, good luck. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.