I'm positive I have eustachian tube dysfunction but my ENT is just saying he does not what to do

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had ETD for almost 2 years now, and the past year has just been endless refuring to neurologists and allergists and back to my ENT again. It's not painful, but having this problem for so long is honestly very hard on my mental state. It's always there, that weird feeling. The best I can do is try and ignore it but that doesn't usually work. I just want it gone. I've occasionally even thought of killing myself just to escape this constant pressure. And my ENT just says "there is no fluid, so you seem fine." Even though I clearly am not. What should I do?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julian,

I can totally relate to your post, I’ve had ETD for a year now and it’s so hard to deal with. It makes me feel stressed out all the time and at times worse when the symptoms seem to increase, like more pressure. I also experience ringing in my left ear which I find extremely hard to deal with as this sometimes worsens as well and you just don’t know why or what you can do about it. It’s enough to make you indeed think about ending it all even if you wouldn’t want that at all if it wasn’t for this condition.

My ETD occurred after a cold in my ear and was fading I think and all at once it became worse out of nowhere. Do you have any idea what causes your ETD as you mentioned you’ve seen allergists and neurologists? I’m now trying to get an advice on where I should go for a second opinion. 

• Posted

Hi Julian

Sorry to hear of your situation.

What are your symptoms, has the Ent doctor not done the necessary basic tests to confirm Etd?

How did your etd appear? Did you have an ear infection or any other problem before at all?

I too have etd since December after a fungal ear infection.

I’ve been trying various things to no avail as yet.

I’m worried about flying, have you flown in the last two years?

Lynn. X

• Posted

Don't give up.

What is the condition?

Pressure

Ear/ears won't pop

Ear/ears won't unpop

Crackling/squeaking noises

Tinitus

What meds have you tried?

• Posted

Don’t give up!  I was lucky the balloon dilation worked for me.  Drs are learning more everyday about this awful condition.  I know how it can wear on you, but please, don’t give up...i believe u will find your answer.  This can’t be rocket science for Drs!!!! It just hasn’t been a priority for most ENT’s.  Hopefully that is changing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.