I'm pretty sure it's mono.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello

I've been feeling shocking for weeks now. it all started with a few days of headaches, then a couple days of hot flashes and then about 3 weeks of SEVERE fatigue to the point that even moving off the couch felt like i had run a marathon. I had a mildly sore throat for 3 days and weird tingling or stabbing pains in the lymph nodes near my throat.

a couple days later, I woke up with an intensely sore neck and upper back which has only JUST gone away after a few weeks but my throat and neck feels weird and swollen kind of? but isn't?

I have since had a sore throat for a week with 1 swollen lymph node in my throat and tingling/stabbing pains in my lymph nodes under my arms and in my groin.

I went to the doctor today and told him of all my symptoms and asked for a mono test and he dismissed it. He pretty much said it is all anxiety (I'm petrified of hiv - have had 2 negative hiv tests so far).

just wondering if others have the same symptoms? if anyone bruises easily from mono? I've got unexplained bruises all over me. I'm scared to death.

I also feel very mentally weird and any time I go out or do too much I get really fatigued again. I just feel like I need to lie down all the time. I was also around my best friend about a month before all this started happening. we both have toddlers and 5 days after I saw her she had glandular fever.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I still find that awful that the doctor didn't do the mono blood test for you, it is very possible that if it is mono that you are going through that it would still show as positive in the first number of weeks of feeling unwell with it. Definitely I would go back and try and see a different doctor, go along with someone for support and back-up and insist that you have a blood test for mono done - I know it's much easier said than done to do that with doctors though, but it's so important and could possibly lead to a diagnosis.

I remember I had a phase of the virus when I had strange joint pains and bruising in different parts of my body - that frightened me too Sam and my experience was that this can definitely happen with mono.

Hoping and praying so much that things improve and settle down - with this virus it often just is a time factor unfortunately - it can take a bit of time but if this is mono please be assured that you will get through this and back to full health again. But definitely have no hesitation in going back to the doctors and trying to get that blood test for mono, and hoping something like that can shed some light and put your mind at rest.

One thing that helped me greatly during recovery was taking vitamins and herbs - a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I take Immunace Extra here in the UK), a B100 complex vitamin and/or Co-enzyme Q10 (great for nervous system and energy levels), higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinacea. Of course please do make sure you check for any interactions with other conditions / medication before starting any vitamins / herbs, that's so important - I'm no expert just going on things that helped me and my own research - seeing a herbalist can also be a good idea and helped me a lot too for the right advice / info.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you Craig. I will be going back to the doctor in a few days and will definitely look into the vitamins.

• Posted

Hello Craig, just thought I'd give you an update. I had my final HIV test - not detected, no serological evidence of infection with hiv1 and hiv2.

I am thinking of seeing a different doctor to ask for a mono test as my groin and armpit lymph nodes are swollen.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Thanks for keeping us updated, I hope that it can put your mind at rest a bit that the HIV test came back as clear. I remember too when I had mono they did a HIV test on me and it frightened me even just the thought of that and it was a relief when that came back clear for me too.

Yes it definitely would be good if you were able to see a doctor who would do a blood test for mono. It's so frustrating that you've had to fight so hard just to get a simple blood test for mono, it really beggars belief. Sometimes just the not knowing is the worst part and getting that mono test could possibly give you a real breakthrough in knowing what's going on - it certainly sounds like there is a real chance it could be mono or a mono-type thing with the symptoms you have described.

Keep in touch Sam, I still have faith that things are going to get better for you and that you are going to get back to full health. It's such an awful thing to go through mono or anything similar to that and just want you to know I'm thinking about you and remind you that this virus and this type of illness does get better, it can be stubborn and try to linger a bit but it will be a temporary thing in the grand scheme.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.