I'm pretty sure Slippery Elm has completely cured my GERD

Posted , 10 users are following.

Now I don't want to speak too soon. I've mentioned slippery elm as a vital cure for GERD on this forum before, but I really want to find out if other people are using it consistently and how it works for them. 

?For me, it has been amazing. My GERD was really bad...I had gotten Barret's and Eosinophilic Oesophagitis within a very short period of time. PPI's were a mild help (although they gave me some serious muscle cramps). I tried multiple different diets as well. In the meantime I had my gallbladder removed due to gallstones. 

?I feel all of these things may have contributed towards finding a cure. There are definitely plenty of natural treatments and home remedies that have been mentioned on here worth trying. But I feel like acid reflux is no longer a problem for me at all due to how effective slippery elm is. It's truly amazing. 

?I don't think there's anything magical about the nutrients it contains. I think most of its functionality is simply mechanical. Mix it with some warm water and it turns into a very gooey, sticky, and heavy sludge. Swallow it and it coats your oesophagus on the way down, as well as staying on top of your stomach while the food digests. (Note, peanut butter can also achieve the same effect temporarily because of how sticky and thick it is). 

?Now, I do technically still get reflux. But any air or acid that shoots up cannot reach my oesophagus because of how heavy and sticky the slippery elm is. I can literally feel the acid travel up my stomach but it gets stopped and goes back down. 

?I now take the elm religiously, 3-4 times a day after every meal. The trick is to make sure it's the last thing you swallow. So have your usual meal, and then have your drink or coffee, wait a few minutes, and then swallow the slippery elm. Ideally you shouldn't eat or drink anything else for as long as possible. Food or drink will wash it down and break the seal. 

?As a disclaimer, I also follow a lot of other steps to aid my reflux, like sleeping upright, avoid too many carbohydrates, absolutely no junk food, no cold beverages, zero soft drinks or alcohol, etc. These also definitely contribute, so I can't really say that any supplement is a complete cure. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, that's great. How long did you have GERD before you were diagnosed with barrets and esophagitis .....

• Posted

Hi

Can I ask what quantity of slippery elm you mix each time into what amount of water, are you totally off ppi now

• Posted

I will suggest taking it up to 8 weeks and then take some time off. ;-) 
  • Posted

Hello,

How long were you having this problem?

Can you tell me about the symptoms...

& What was the procedure you followed to get this problem solved....

I have been suffering from this disease from from last 3 years...

So this will really mean a lot to me if can tell me something about it...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.