I’m pushing my boyfriend away because of my depression and anxiety, what should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve never really joined or posted something like this on anything but I’m in desperate need of advice. 

I’ve been suffering from depression and anxiety ever since I was 14 ( I was bullied through high school and my family life wasn’t the best). I’m 20 now and it’s still as bad as ever. 

I’ve been in a relationship with my boyfriend for nearly 2 years, and this past couple of months has been extremely difficult as im pushing him away with my constant worrying that he’s gunna leave me. I’m so insecure. He told me today that he still loves me but is on verge of ending things because I’m miserable all the time. 

I just need advice on how to actually overcome my insecurities and focus on the positive rather than the negative as I’m finding it so difficult. At the moment I hate myself for what I’ve put him through.

(Ps I have been on medication for my depression but I came off it because I was feeling drowsy/sick 24/7)

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Chloeeeex

You need to discuss your past medication and how you are feeling now. You need help and encouragement  your GP should be able to arrange a treatment pathway for you. However it would seem you will need to take a medication prescribed by your Doctor.

Mental Health can be a problem in a relationship where the Partner has little understanding of what the sufferer is going through. So it is difficult to give advice.

Your health is important to you and you will need support and understanding. If you want and need to keep this person, you need to be able to get well again. However you need help and encouragement, is He man enough to offer that understanding and help ??

BOB

• Posted

So I am going to sorta answer this from the perspective of your boyfriend cause my girlfriend recently dumped me cause of her depression and personally I’m heartbroken and she says she still loves me and wants me but she wants to focus on herself for a bit. The medication you were taking probably wasn’t the right kind for you, sometimes it takes a couple of tries to take antidepressants. Maybe talk to a doctor or something about being prescribed another kind or a different dosage. If your boyfriend wants to be there and support you let him, but don’t involve him into your depression. But if you feel like it’s just not working out or even you want to focus on yourself maybe go on break with him or break up until you figure yourself out. But you really seem to love him and if he makes you happy then enjoy the moments with him. Maybe go see a counselor, I know that should help a lot with depression. I’m currently trying to encourage my ex to do counseling and antidepressants. 
  • Posted

Hi Cloxo - you need to see the doc again and get another round of meds. If the one's you had don't work, there are many others that will. Treating depression medically is not a one-size-fits all, and you achieve balance through trial and error. It might also help if you have counselling - the doc can refer you. The point of this is that you cannot think or wish or pray yourself out of a depressive condition. There are chemical anomalies in the brain that need balancing. Medications are how you do that. 

• Posted

Dude what you need to do is go back to ur boyfriend talk to him at this and if he helps you then that it. Now all you need is to share ur problems with ur friend. I know it's hard, you can do. And start thinking about ur self become selfish.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.