I’m running 2miles ,3nights a week. After gaining 2stone from anxiety meds. But I’m not losing kilos

Posted , 10 users are following.

i gained 2stone/28pounds in 6weeks. after taking mirtazipine. then quitiopine. i'm running and struggling to lose even one gram!

i photo everthing i consume. and my eating is at 2400calories a day. I'm a 43 year old man..

i think the meds have changed my metabolism.. a feeling strengthened aftera dna test.. any advice

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You need to reduce your calorie intake to 2000 calories a day. Avoid sugar and alcohol. I too put on a lot of weight from anxiety medication because I am insulin resistant and the medication affected my insulin levels. Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Try a low GI diet and stick to 2000 calories a day.

I don't know if you have heard of high-intensity training but it may be something that could help you. Look into getting a personal trainer who can help you get into it, people can often injure themselves if they try try it on their own without guidance. You can get a workout plan and then do it on your own after learning about it.

• Posted

1- 2400 calories is good intake calories . but is it " clean " 2400 calories ( veggies , chicken , balance carb ...) ? or its unhealthy 2400 ( sweet , canned food , fast food...etc) ?

And do you weight the ingredients before cooking ? if you don't , i prefer that you should weight everything before cooking

2- running 2 miles everyday ... it sounds good , but its not really the best way to loose weight . i heard a lot of people said that " they wake up early everyday , running everyday / go to the gym everyday but its still very hard for them to loose weight " . the reason is... our body is super smart . the body is getting used the "new environment " very quickly . if you keep practicing to lift a dumbbells 10 kg this month , I'm sure you can lift heavier next month . and you re getting better when you keep doing it .. but if you don't increase the weight , you will leave the gym like... you haven't done anything yet . it's the same with running , you shouldn't just run everyday ( running or doing 1 exercise everyday will just make you healthy - as you maintain to exercise ) , but it can't help you to burn a lot of calories .

The advise is you should surprise your body by different kind of exercises . its like you run 2 miles today . tomorrow you should try HIIT running ( shorter but better than typical running ) , and the day after tomorrow you can go with weightsor a combination between weights and 15 mns cardio ( 30 burpees , jumping jacks ..) at the end of exercise , or you can join 1 class per week with high intensity cycling

By this way ,your body can't " predict " what you will do ( as you keep changing the exercise ) . and you can lose the calories faster and... definitely better ... i never spend more than 1 hour in the gym or for any general working out . but i believe that my 30 mns exercise is better than 90 mns exercise of other people . its not about how long you run or how many hours you exercise . its about what you do .. " quality is over quantity " !

• Posted

My calories aren't that clean.. I've lost no grams since I started. I wonder if my anxiety medication is having an effect.

I'll reread your advice tonight. Thanku

• Posted

Anxiety medication and mental health drugs put on weight and its hard to take the weight off, mainly because mental health drugs increase hunger, and they make the weight stay in the system, if and when we stop taking the drugs the weight comes off in weeks. I think you may need to keep working out, and do not let a little more weight than usual bother you. If its a big problem you could take less medications but this is risky. Speak to your GP, perhaps they can prescribe you something that doesnt increase weight, but helps the anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.