I’m scared I’ll never be able to play sports or even walk or run after my ankle injury. help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Please please help. I’m 15 and just over 1 week post operation. I broke my tibia (spiral break) and fibula and I needed to have my bones reset and then had 5 screws put into my tibia. I am an extremely active teenager and sports are my everything and I would be gutted if I’ll never be able to play sports again. At the moment I am extremely terrified that I won’t be able to run or play sports the same way I could before the injury. It’s most likely all in my head because I’m healing very normal but I’m just very scared because sports are a huge part of my life. Can anyone give me some advice to calm myself down and explain if I’ll be fine? The doctors said I can return to sports in 3 months but I’m very scared that something will go wrong or that I won’t be able to compete and run because of the feeling of the screws in my ankle. Please help!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You'll get better with time! It'll take a few months to get back to your pre-injury level of fitness and mobility, but it's definitely not impossible - you see professional athletes who are back training not long after the cast comes off. I'd recommend seeing a physiotherapist once you're out of the cast, as they'll be able to help you get the movement back in your leg quicker. Wishing you all the best in your recovery!

• Posted

Also, don't go looking up doom-and-gloom stories from people with the same injury online - I know it's tempting but it'll have you thinking you'll never walk again! Remember that it's only a minority of people who are left with long-term mobility issues after breaking a bone - the internet just makes it look like more because most people who recover well don't bother posting in forums about it.

• Posted

Thank you so much. Really helps me stay positive to read this 
  • Posted

Hi KB absolutely but you do need to do exactly as your told so that you don't risk further damage, even when you feel great you still need to follow doctors orders,I broke a load of bones in my foot in my late teens and wore a cast for about 17 weeks and never had one problem after ward's and danced for years and was fine till two years ago when I had an accident and am on crutches still, I am 65 now though LOL

• Posted

Alright thanks for the advice. The doctors said I have 3 months before I can return to sports but I have no sports until 5 months from now as my sport season just started
  • Posted

Dear kb1292,

YOU HANG IN THERE,

TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!

txdap

• Posted

Hey buddy.. hada similar break myself..

Broke fib and tib and alls i can say is that you have to be very open minded to the fact that you are pretty severely injured..... who knows what your future will hold for you . I am in the same boat. Love sports to. Wakeboarding, snowboarding, dirtbikes, skateboards and everything else thats fun..........but now i am in the fight of my life just trying to walk again.. my leg is fine but i have severe nerve damage in my foot that makes it feel real yucky when i tuch thing and hard to feel the ground. ... keep positive k little buddy.......keep me informed on your progress ... you got this ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.