I'm scheduled for a hernia and partial hysterectomy april18,2018

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm curious about the recovery time and getting back to work. I work fulltime as a massage therapist and pastime massage teacher. I'm also a ARMY reservist. As you can see I have an active lifestyle. I need to work. what would be the average recovery time so I can have a ball park idea?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer.

I apologize for the delay. 

Your lifestyle sounds like mine. I’ve just entered my (3)rd. week post op.

Yesterday, I received a tongue lashing from my physician regarding my not following recovery instructions.

I’ve been told that average recovery is 6 to 8 weeks. Please confirm with your surgeon. I had been incredibly negligent in following instructions and attempted to resume, at least household tasks when instructed not to engage in any manual work. 

Listen to your provider and be very patient. My recovery has been set back approximately 2 weeks, possibly 10 to 12 weeks due to possible complications.

Listen..... this is a time to take care of yourself!

Please stay in touch. 

The best for you and your recovery. 

🤗

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I’m a hairstylist,and had a bladder repair and hysterectomy and I thought I would be fine going back to work at about 8wks. Don’t even think about it, you might think you feel ok but your body will tell you otherwise. It does take time but believe me it’s worth the wait. I went back to partime Work at 12 wks and that was hard, I was extremely tired, I’m 17 wks now and just about working at full steam. Recovery is rest no bending for at least 6wks no driving for that time too, and get plenty of stool softener. hope all goes well 🤗

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

Your work is classed as physical hense being on your feet a lot.

Id say at least 12 wks off work and even then you have to be very careful with your repair long-term going forward.

These repairs don't last forever and do have a high failure rate especially if you are very active and physical afterwards.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.