I'm so confused!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting and its taken me weeks to pluck up the courage to do even this.

I've not been feeling myself for quite a while now, more so when I'm alone. The worst thing I'm finding at the minute is when I'm at home and someone knocks on the door. My heart instantly starts beating out of my chest, I start shaking (which is getting worse every time) and I just generally feel panicked.

I hide so I don't have to answer unless its someone I'm expecting which isn't very often. I've started closing the blinds through the day now too so if someone comes and knocks, they can't see if I'm home. It makes me feel a bit safer but I still have a full on panic when someone knocks.

Its gotten to the stage now where I feel totally afraid to leave the house. I literally take my little boy to school, come home, close the blinds and stay there until I pick hi up again.

I have no idea why this has started but I feel its getting worse. I've talked very openly about it to my husband but no-one else as I feel a bit silly and that people will laugh it off and say I'm being stupid.

I've thought about going to the doctors however, in the past when I've been to my doctor about different things, every time I leave feeling like I have been fobbed off and completely wasted her time so really can't force myself to go about this as its so hard to explain.

Has anyone else felt like this? Does it sound like something serious or can anyone help or advise what I can do to try and stop it?

Thank you in advance x

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mac88. I am not sure if anything i can say would help. But the fact that you are aware of your actions and they don't feel right to you, means it is probably not too serious or is in early stages. I would like to ask a few questions though: did anything happen to trigger this response in you - either to you or someone you know? How did it all start and how long ago? How do you feel when you are already out of the house and have to talk to someone you run into? If you feel uncomfortable answering these, answer them to yourself and ask yourself other rational questions to help you figure out what is causing it. I think you could benefit from a consultation with a therapist or a psychiatrist, both of whom could help you nip it in the bud while it is still fresh and new. Could be a symptom of depression or other related disorders. Or could be related to stress or traumatic event either personal or something that happenned to someone else. Whatever the case sounds manageable and not too advanced although the root causes may stem as far back as early childhood. I wish you a quick resolution whatever the case.
  • Posted

Hey Mac

Welcome to the forum

Your in a bit of a pickle

You are going to have to trust people eg a doctor or a therapist

This is all going to get much worse if you dont get help.

No one is going to harm you they will only help you and you have to help yourself as well

Go and get the help you need and deserve

Perhaps talk to family or friends

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

i know that with anxiety you have a tendency to close yourself off from others not entirely sure why, but i do know that its not healthy behaviour. as far as explaining goes , i believe you really need to see someone, get the help you need 
  • Posted

How are you doing?
    • Posted

Hi,

I'm ok in general, just can't get past this "knocking on the door" thing. I feel much better when my husband is at home so have been ok over the weekend but its still always in my mind about someone knocking. 

We were in the garden with the weather being nice and it was constantly on my mind, if someone comes they'll know we're here as they'll hear us. Really don't know where its came from and I suppose at the end of the day, whether people hear you or not, its your own decision as to whether you answer the door/let people in etc. but just can't get rid of the nervous/scared feeling.

Back on my own again today and the weather is lovely but I just know I'll lock myself away as I dare not go in the garden on my own in case someone comes!? So frustrating! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.