I'm so scared i have oesophagus cancer and its been missed

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 36 and had a lump feeling low in my throat for around 6 weeks.It doesn't come and go,its there all day every day.I would say it feels like behind thyroid at the back of my throat top of oesophagus.It feels like a peanut stuck there and never changes position.Ive had ent camera down nose which showed all clear up to the voicebox which i knew it was lower than this anyway then also upper endoscopy to check lower which was clear.My worry is that theyve missed the bit where i can feel it,its like they checked above and below but not there.I know people will say the top of my oesophagus would have been seen on endoscopy but when i asked the man if he checked that part he just said you need to see ent for that part i dont deal with it so im really scared its been missed and now ive just got to leave it growing in there and believe that its globus when everything ive read on globus sounds different. Most people say it comes and goes and mine doesn't and most peoples seems higher up than mine.I have 3 children and scared they're going to lose their mum early as you're supposed to catch cancer symptoms early and i don't think anyone is going to take me seriously untill its too late.This is taking over my life,im so scared sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Do you have reflux? Do you smoke? Do you Drink?

Do you have a Family History of Oesophageal Ca?

Do you have problems swallowing? Does food get stuck? Any pain when swallowing?

You could ask for a barium swallow. I don't think they will find anything though.

• Posted

Hi,no reflux,i quit smoking 8 years ago.Up until this problem i drank about 4 bottles of wine a week now none as im scared its caused cancer.My grandad died of throat cancer but not sure what part of throat/oesophagus.I can eat/swallow fine but feels like a bit of food hangs around down there after eating and my tablets struggle to go down.Theres no pain just a heavy feeling.I questioned the barium swallow and the doctor brushed it off.
  • Posted

I’ve had this for nearly 5 years, I’ve had numerous test the only thing they’ve found is I’ve got cervical spondylitis and have bony spurs exactly where my feeling is! They said they’re not prominent enough to cause my feeling. I try not to think about it but when you have this feeling 24hrs of the day it’s hard!
    • Posted

Is yours really low in the throat too?Its hard to believe i have globus when everyone else with that says it comes and goes and its higher up.Mines there from the moment i wake up till the moment i go to bed really low like in the top of the oesophagus.
  • Posted

Hi Nichola

I had never heard of Globus or had any symptoms until last year. A trauma had started mine. I had every test under the sun too, like you I thought I had cancer or something just as bad. I had a camera test (endoscope) in every hole I have! Nothing was wrong, I also had a barium swallow and went the theatre too! for an operation. But again nothing came back bad. The lump in my throat was that bad that I stopped eating all together. I was convinced I was going to die. I have children too. 1 of them is disabled and I am her carer. I didn't want to die, I couldn't. In the end the doctors told me it was all in my head. I didn't believe them!. To prove them wrong I got help for my anxiety and panic attacks. And more importantly I told myself I wasn't going to die. Yes, we all die, some will die today and some will die in 50 years, unfortunately we are all going to die. But I was not going to die and I was going to fight. Music helped me, I got an I pod and ear plugs and had it blaring as loud as I could stand it, then went for a walk. It was so loud and I was so busy looking around me that I totally forgot everything and stopping worrying. Its hard but our minds are very powerful. Eventually I starting to get on with my life. I told myself to eat and If I died doing it then so what, I couldn't change anything including life. And now I am so much better. The lump only comes now and again. But I ignore it and it goes away. 

Push for more tests if it makes you feel better and even surgery. But more importantly push yourself to help yourself to get better. No one has a magic wand. Don't let it take over your life, you take over your own life, you can do it. 

• Posted

Im just so certain its not globus,its right at the bottom like top of oesophagus and even eating and drinking feels weird where as globus sufferers always say eating and drinking feels ok.I feel that because i suffer anxiety,depression and panic attacks the doctors just blame it on that when i was doing ok till the lump came.If it went away for even half an hour i could happily tell myself it cant be cancer or it wouldnt come and go but it doesnt.It never goes away.And i dont know if its linked but my hair is falling out too.I have a feeling if i ask my doctor for more tests she'll just refuse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.