I'm so tired. Is this common?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was in the ER 3 weeks ago with lower ab pain, low fever and remarkable nausea.  After blood work and a CT scan, the diagnosis was "mild diverticulitis".  I took cipro and flagyl and stayed in bed with nausea and fatigue for the first 5 days. I drank a little broth each day, but otherwise I felt too nauseous to eat.  I'm doing better now.  Most days I am feeling good and have great energy, but I'm concerned about something --  About every 3 days or so, I get REALLY tired.  All day.  If I can nap, I do and I'll sleep very soundly for 2-3 hours but not feel refreshed when I wake up.  I struggle the entire day with this tired feeling.  Sometimes I feel so tired my head feels heavy, which seems weird to me.  Is this a common experience?  I'm a little worried about it.  Thanks in advance for your opinion and suggestions.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It’s funny you say that I’m having the same feeling and I also have diverticulitis but I didn’t put the tiredness with the diverticulitis so I’m saying yes 
    • Posted

Thank you for your response.  I hope you are feeling better each day!
  • Posted

Yes this does occur and the more the flairs occur the longer it takes to recover. My last flair up it took 3 months to feel normal. Take care.
    • Posted

Thank you madeline.  It's helpful to know that recovery may take more time than I expected.  In the emergency room, the doctor gave me the impression I would feel all better in a few days.  I must have misunderstood.  I appreciate your feedback.

• Posted

hey. it's been 2 months since my attack. I'm still so weak and tired. my legs feel like rubber and all i want to do is sleep

• Posted

Yes it is very common after an attack.  Two reasons.  1)  The drugs are very powerful and have long lasting side effects which I found knocked the stuffing out of me for weeks.  2)  Recovery from anything can take weeks or months - if you've had flu or any virus you will know just how washed out you felt, and for how long.  It normally takes 4 - 6 weeks to get back to normal.  If the disease is advanced it can take longer, but yours was described as a mild case.  Hopefully you will be fighting fit for Christmas.

• Posted

Thank you for your thoughts, felinia.  You are correct about the medicines.  They made me very sick and it makes sense that my body may still be suffering the consequences.  I do indeed feel like the "stuffing has been knocked out of me"...the phrase made me smile, thank you!  I will *try* to be patient, but this situation has been discouraging.  I'm grateful for your response. :-)

• Posted

Hi Ashley

It does take time to come to terms with Diverticulitis, and how long it takes to get over it.  Most first time sufferers are surprised - it's not like a tummy upset which passes in a few days.  I sometimes think that for many illnesses the cure makes you feel worse before you feel better.  Best wishes and hope you are recovering nicely now.

• Posted

Yes, I'm not sure which one makes u more tired the flare up or the treatment for it. After a flare up it usually takes me about a month to have all my energy back and be close to normal again on my normal bathroom routine. They usually prescribe very strong antibiotics so I have always assumed it's a mixture from the infection and the medication. Drink as much fluids as you can handle and try not to get back into eating to fast. This dreadful disease is no joke, you are on a good forum with a lot of knowledgeable people. I hope you start to feel better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.