I’m so worried I have bowel cancer

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay so I’ve been having a weird tummy now for about a month. It started off with abdominal pains which lasts a few days then I started to get blood & mucus in my loose stools, I’m now bloated! I’m belching so much, I can’t see an increase in my farting though and it doesn’t smell any different. I have had full blood tests which show no anemia, very low CRP & ESR, liver and kidney functions are perfect, iron level was good, nothing abnormal was found. I’ve also done a FOB test and no hidden blood was found. No appetite loss (which is good because I love my food!) but I’ve lost a bit of weight (not much)

My stools have changed in size, they are much harder now, really thick in size with no blood and hardly any mucus, a normal brown colour too - I notice my stools float? Is this a concern? I also have this weird rash on my arm which I don’t know is related to my problems but seems to be going now. I’m mainly concerned for this bloating as I know it’s a sign of bowel cancer. My poo sort of reassures me as I’m thinking - if a tumour was blocking my colon then surely it wouldn’t get bigger in size? No? I dunno 😦 I’m going to see my GP again as it’s improve in some ways - others it hasn’t! What do you guys think?

I’m 23 also. Thanks guys!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The fact your iron and FOB test were both normal is very reassuring. What's even more reassuring is you are 23 years old and colon cancer would be incredibly rare at your age. Are you sure you're actually seeing blood in your stool and is it possible it's coming from a fissure or hemorrhoid? You mention hard stool which could cause both the mucus and blood. You probably should have a colonoscopy just to rule out chron's disease, colitis etc which would require treatment.

• Posted

Hi Ashley, thanks for replying. I don't see blood all the time - only now and again. I'm just concerned because my stools are looser than normal (well sometimes) and irregular bowel movements. I don't feel any urgency to go to the toilet! I've noticed today I'm not belching as much and my bloatness seems like it's subsided!

• Posted

Please go for a colonoscopy. It is an easy procedure. I was told I have rectal cancer. I didn't seem to have any of those affects you have. It could be something else, but a colonoscopy will be good.

• Posted

Thanks Mary! I am going to see a doctor this week and hopefully get to the bottom of this with a referral!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.