I'm still here...still waiting!!!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

just a quick update - operation put on hold due to pre op findings. I am currently at work with a Lifecard CF monitor on for 7 days. I have spoken to the heart guy (ron Sharkey) here in Heysham - he says he is writing to the surgeon today to say all ok to go ahead with operation ( having old hip taking out and new one putting as as it has worn out after 13 years) They will put me on beta blockers to deal with the AF I have. All good to go. I have an appointment so see Mr Maguire on 9th June, so hopefully my op will be soon after this date. Hope your'e all doing well.

Tracy

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Tracy,

Great to hear from you, and so positive too - I bet you're looking forward to getting on with the operation and recovery.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi Graham,

It can't come soon enough - Ive been fine up until last week then real bad pain in hip and lower back - couldnt do much as pain so bad - but on the whole I havnt had pain at all not like OA when I first had my hip done 13 years ago - that was pain - bone on bone - so hopefully not long now - I have seen the surgeon a couple of weeks ago - they are waiting for the results of the monitor - they will have those next week - so back on track now - was hoping for end of May - but looks like june/july now. I just want to get back to a normal life - thats what I have to remember in all this - having had one hip replaced I wasnt ready at all for the news it needed replacing after 13 years - but isnt it fab they can actually fix it so we can get on with living.

Tracy

• Posted

The procedures have 'come on leaps and bounds' in the time since you had it done first.  How much of it do they replace?  I know in my case, the 'ball' and 'socket' are both able to be replaced without disturbing the titanium femoral stem and acetabular shell. So if I do have to go through another operation to sort mine out, they will leave the metalwork alone and just replace the ceramic bits.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Best wishes for your op Tracy , ive just had revision after 8 years but he assures me this one will last at least 20 xxxxx
    • Posted

Hi Bini,

8 years isnt long? whats happened - they have told me the same thhis time - 20 years. x

• Posted

Hi Tracey

I originally had resurfacing and the components were recalled last year as they were failing - I had started getting a lot of pain , having previously been pain free on that side - MRI showed femur was fractured where the new head screwed in , plus fluid in the joint space indicating metal poisoning in the blood ( although blood test was actually ok ) - plus a high percentage of muscle wastage - hence urgent conversion to total hip - he's put an Exeter one in which is known for its longevity and is hopeful will be

• Posted

It will be fine for many many years - so not your average scenario ! Xx
    • Posted

wow - very unlucky for you then - but hopefully this one will be fine. Yes the exeter I have heard of this one. x
  • Posted

Hey Tracy, 

Wow, I didn''t know that your surgery was postponed due to pre-op findings - Thank God for that, huh?

How are you getting on otherwise ? 

good luck

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee,

thanks for your lovely comment , yeah thank god! all ok - hope youre doing ok too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.