I'm suffering SVT and panic attacks which is frightening, any advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm looking for advice on. I'm 30 years old, don't smoke or drink. Have cut out caffeine - First suffered SVT at age 28 when I was pregnant with my twins. I was told it was most likely dye to extra blood flow as my bloods, heart scan were all normal. 24hr heart tape showed the odd extra beat which they weren't concerned about. 2 years later i suffered another SVT. My heart suddenly races at about 220bpm and lasts about 25 minutes. By the time I get an ecg it's at 120. Both have cone on suddenly, first by brushing. My teeth, second one by bending down to see my little girl. I had another mild attack 2 days ago when I was pushing my twin pram up a hill and could feel my heart pumping so went straight round to my Doctor surgery, luckily it was the next street. By the time I was seen my heart was at 124bpm and my blood pressure was 158/102. I'm generally healthy, no medication, healthy weight. I've had slightly higher readings on BP since my twins were born which I'm waiting for a home BP monitor to do readings for a week. Since I suffered my second SVT I've had panic attacks which I've never had previously. The SVT leaves me feeling exhausted, tight heart, niggling pain in my chest and panic attacks leave the tighest knot in my stomach.

Doctor has referred me for 6day heart tape, heart scan but also wants a 24hr urine test as concerned I'm producing too much adrenline. I'm so scared and worried about the whole thing as I've 4 children to look after and husband works away with work once a week

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You should ask your doctor to put you on a 30 day event monitor. 

The high heart rate does make you very anxious!

i had to call an ambulance after I pulled my car into a parking lot because my heart was 200, felt faint and thought I was going to pass out!

by the time I got to the hospital (30 minutes), it had gone away. SVT is hard to diagnose if it's not caught.

i had 5 Emergency room visits last year and resolved by the time I got there. 

Finally they just decided that was what I had. Had an ablation last October.

you never know when they are going to start and how long they last. They seem to go as fast as they came on and can last anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours in my case.

the reason you are exhausted afterwards is because of the high heart rate , it's like you have run a marathon, but you haven't. 

It wipes me out for 2-3 days. 

Im pretty sure I was having SVT as long as 5 years ago but didn't know what it was? I would go to my family doctor and cardiologist and they did every heart test possible and all was normal. 

Last year, I started having more and more episodes. That's when I had the ablation.

i really think you should ask your doctor to put you on a 30 day event monitor. 6 days is not as good as you might not have any episodes during that time. 

If you have a high heart rate longer than an hour, you should immediately go to the emergency room, or if you are throwing up too and feel faint. 

• Posted

If the 6-day heart monitor catches nothing, you definitely will want to do it for 30 days. I did mine for 30 days and thankfully caught a decent SVT episode. I am still wearing it now actually, and I have my ablation scheduled. I wouldn't be too concerned about your episodes. You definitely need to get that addressed, which you are working on. In the meantime, just relax! They do need to be addressed long-term, but there is no need to panic until then. Actively work with your doctor on the matter and you will be fine.

As far as the BP, I am not a doctor but that seems a bit high to me. Definitely ask your doctor about that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.