I'm suffering the effects of PCOS and GP says can prescribe anything? Can anyone help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So i have been going to the doctors since i was 15 years old (i am now just gone 22 in August) about not having period, struggling to loose weight, mental health, bad stomach cramps and facial hair. They have completed 2/3 blood tests which all came back with hormone imbalance and each time i questioned for infertility issues or PCOS. But the doctors always put it down to when i was involved in an RTC a month after my 15th birthday as i was diagnosed with Ovarian Failure to Secondary Trauma.

I went to the doctors in May 2018 because i started to loose my hair and then they put it down to stress, i again mentioned my periods and the other symptoms i had been having for 6/7 years and they done a blood test again and tested for everything, they said again that i had the hormone imbalance and i was in with the doctor for about 15 mins convincing her to refer me to the gynaecologist - which thankfully she did and i got diagnosed in June 2018 with PCOS, however my stomach cramps are still pretty bad and have caused me to call in sick because they can be that severe - i went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago and she said that she is unable to prescribe anything to help with the pains in my stomach and other affects, I am just wondering if that is correct or if there is something that can be prescribed to me? (due to past experiences with my GP and the last couple years they aren't the most trustworthy and not sure where else to turn to or who i can talk to about it - my next hospital appointment isn't until November, and my GP said that the wait time for a new appointment will take to around november so no point in requesting an earlier appointment)

Or if anyone has any tips on how to deal with the abdominal pains as taking paracetamol and ibuprofen and using a hot water bottle sometimes doesn't work..

Sorry that this post is quite long and thank you in advance if anyone has any ideas/tips for me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You can get mefenamic acid for your period pain. It helps if your periods are really heavy too. Your doctor has to prescribe it though. Metformin is often used to help with symptoms of PCOS, particularly with issues of weight. I would recommend a multi vitamin and mineral tablet every day as well as oil of evening primrose tablets. Avoid too much sugar, alcohol and dairy, they are really bad for weight gain and bad skin particularly around your time of month.
  • Posted

I 2nd that about metformin tablets to help 500mg 3 times a day. Also having a low GI diet helps as with PCOS we can’t digest high gi foods 
  • Posted

hi i have pcos diagnosed in my early twentys was prescribed metformin in my late twentys i have now been diagnosed with over active thyroid and graves disease which could be connected to my pcos because it all to do with your hormones and your immune system i was told i was infertily but went on to have children so not always what the doctors tell you is right i

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.