I’m suppose to be able to resume my running in one year!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Press fit knee

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

And you were told that by whom????

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

Anything that pounds the knee (running) or twists/torque the knee are forbidden...but everyone makes their own choices.  Case in point: Had my hip replaced in 2009.  Two weeks later, I saw the doc and asked him when I could get on my skates again (45+ years of playing hockey).  He told me I could restart any time...if I wanted the new hip to last only 3 years instead of its intended 25.  Turned in my blades.

Get the picture?  Start running again and you will destroy your new knee in a matter of years.  Running puts anywhere from 5 to 12 times your body weight in terms of force on the knee.  Also know that getting a revision to put in another one is never recommended as it will not fit as well or as tight as the original.  The new knee has to be respected and cared for.  Run at your own risk.

• Posted

Told my doctor I wanted to run a 5K on my one year anniversary. I am now 5 weeks post TKR. He said “Great!!!! Go for it!! My kid just got accepted to Ga Tech and I will need the income when we redo your knee!” Not funny but I sure did get the message. 
    • Posted

Sorry. I don’t even know what that is. Total knee five weeks ago and who knows what strange object I have. Lol
    • Posted

Was just at my knee guy today for my wife's appointment.  Told him about this...he is the #1 knee replacement ortho surgeon in Dallas/Fort Worth.  Came to the same conclusion...  Wanna run?  We'll see you back in three years.  But again...everyone believes what they want and makes their own choices.  Personally, I would never take the chance regardless of some manufacturer's promises.

• Posted

Most long time surgeons get set in there way and are unwilling to change with the times and keep up with technology. I trust my surgeon and the research and consults he has done with the leading orthopedics across the nation about this joint. 
    • Posted

I truly hope you are right...and not just for your sake.  If this new technique/mechanism can remove that restriction post-TKR, I would be GREATLY interested in your results since I will be getting #2 somewhere down the road.  Plus this could be invaluable information for people to have at their disposal when talking to their docs about needing a TKR.  I would ask that you please stay on the Forum and keep us up to date on your progress from time to time.  I am particularly interested in your results.  Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.