I’m taking mirtizapine. And experiencing weight gain. Has anyone had this before.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking mirtazapine for about 5 weeks and I'm experiencing quite severe weight gain.I have lost 8 stone and need to stop the gaining.Anyone else had this

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

LOST OR GAINED?

8 stone or 112 pounds either way is pretty severe. I have been taking 30 mg mirtazapine for about two years 15mg for a year before that and weight gain has not been a problem. I watch what I consume and maintain an exercise schedule. Everyone reacts in their own way to meds.

• Posted

What do you mean severe? I was 22 stone and lost 8 stone over 3 years with slimming world so why do you think that is severe?

• Posted

totally, i gained 21lbs in 6months nightmare!! even tho i was watching my diet and go to gym thats why i came off them, the weight is starting to shift eventually now, thats the only downside i saw in this drug

• Posted

I have also gained a lot of weight, and am stopping Mirtazapine as a result. I have tried increasing exercising, I eat healthily too, but cannot shift the pounds. I am asking my doctor to transfer me to another AD; finding out that this is a common side effect , I feel very relieved as I thought I was alone with this weight problem. Also hope that the lethargy I feel and the insatiable urge to eat carbs (not totally successful in suppressing ) will also dissipate.

• Posted

i have been off them for 5weeks now, and the weight has really started to shift now, im still doing the same gym sessions and healthy eating as i was doing on the mirtazipine,, especially the tummy weight has massively shifted, i think you will deffo see a difference once they are out of your system, i just wish my gp had said this is a major side effect!! its a shame because i thought the drug had a lot of positives for me, but anxiety was returning because i was gaining even more weight

• Posted

I feel exactly the same as though the drug is having the opposite effect on my depression I am weaning down off them now I feel happier now knowing that hopefully my weight loss will return Thank you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.