I'm terrified of flies, what should I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Sorry if this isn't written in the best way, I'm currently very tired.

Due to the recent weather I've had the windows open rather a lot, and because of this a few flies and misquitoes have occasionally managed to make their way in. As soon as I hear that bzzing I have to immeditely drop what I'm doing so I don't make any noise, I start to sweat a very uncomfortable amount, I have to try to stop shaking because then I wouldn't be able to follow its every move around my place. I start to feel like I'm covered in flies and like I have to scratch myself all over as if imaginary ones are crawling on my skin, and sometimes I even start to actually SEE imaginary ones flash before my eyes.

This is bad enough, but because I live on my own it's very much me versus the fly, and the fly always wins. I end up having to vacate whatever room I was in otherwise (and this is embarrassing) I start to cry, because I feel like the fly is taunting me and deliberately making me feel this way by not leaving; especially on a bad day, when I just don't need to be feeling the way they make me feel, you know.

The reason I'm writing this now is because it's reached a whole new level of terrified and uncomfortable tonight. Here I am sitting on my sofa at this time in the morning, because I heard a fly near my bed maybe 20 minutes ago, so I instantly grabbed a towel, covered myself, threw a t shirt on and ran to the sofa. I'm really really really tired and I so desperately want to go back to bed right now, but I can't, because I know there's a mosquito in there, I've scratched half my body up just writing this.

It feels as if I'm not going to get any sleep at all tonight, it feels like I'm just going to sit here sweating and scratching until the sun comes up- and then some.

To go back to the question, what should I do about this? I mean I'm seriously not too far away from just not opening the windows and melting in the heat, or even trying to sleep in the bathroom where I haven't ever spotted a single fly. Please help!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Michael,

this is more than a fear of flies mosquetos... UR issues need to be addressed thru a medical & counseling treatments. 

Please set up arrangements . U will be glad u took that first step and responsibility for UR health. Act on that is quickly. Don't let this define who u r.. We all need help once in awhile,,it normal to feel strange & that too will desolve once treatment begins,

CHEERS

HOPE

• Posted

I think you need to seek help - your problem isn't the flies.   The way you are acting about the flies is a symptom I your problem.   Go talk to your GP make that appointment.   Think of it as a bridge to getting better and making the appointment with your Doctor is the first step over the bridge.   I'll bet that when you talk to your doctor and share your thoughts you will feel better.   I bet you feel better every post that come in.   Good luck don't worry about the flies laugh at them - what could they possibly win?   They can't ask for help like you they can only be a pest.  
    • Posted

Once I went into our spare bedroom to get something from a cupboard and the room was full of hundred of dusty, dopey looking flies that were streaming out of the unused supposedly blocked up chimney. The walls, ceiling, window and curtains were covered in them.

I quickly shut the door and went to work. When I got home they were still dopily resting when I went in with a cylinder vacuum cleaner and sucked them up. It took ages to get the very last one. 

Once previously we had moved into a furnished ground floor flat  

behind Merton Park Film Studios flat that needed extensive cleaning. We moved furniture in the garden and set about our task. When finished we went out for dinner leaving the French windows open. 

On our return the ceiling was covered with big moths who had invaded us from an overgrown left to Nature area behind the Studios.  

We always had to be carefull when living there not to leave windows open at night.

• Posted

Hi Michael

I have just read your post, I know exactly how you feel as I am terrified of flies and wasps is what I fear most its an awful feeling and it's something you wish you were not frightened of.

I have a terrible fear of wasps when I see one I just run or my body just freezes and I get so shaken up and sweat.

Once I thought I was having a panic attack.

Maybe you could try keeping the windows open slightly at first then gradually open them further just try.

I have wanted my window open at night but get all those moths in.

Hope you get this sorted.

• Posted

Maybe the flies trigger your anxiety somehow open the window put a screen in use lots of fans or if u have a air conditioning use that open up your window spray the screen with stuff to kill bugs and flies that will help 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.