I'm thinking of using HRT for Vaginal atrophy what do you think?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I've been using HRT pessaries for 12 months now, 10mgs 3x a week, they are great but I also need to use Balance active moisture pessaries daily and aloe vera gel most days. When it all works it's fine but very often, possibly too often, (I'm just deciding) none of it works and the whole area aches and stings which can effect working. I'm considering full blown HRT as this was offered to me as the next stage of treatment. I've been lucky enough to get to 55yrs without much trouble from the menopause but now I'm left with this which, let's face it, isn't going to get any better. After the recent new guidance i thought why don't i go for it? Any thoughts or experiences to add?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think you should balance up the extra risks with the benefits as they vary so much . I certainly wouldn't want to be without my Hrt as my VA was unbearable along with the sweating etc. I really didn't have a quality of life I was enjoying anymore.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Tracy, great to hear you find it useful.
  • Posted

Can I ask what vaginal atrophy is...how does one know if one has that?
    • Posted

Hi VA has many symptoms usually beginning with dryness in the vagina causing irritation and burning, thinning of the vaginal skin which can lead to small cuts or tears and for some urinary urgency and frequent uni's. How many symptoms varies depending on the severity.

Hope it helps

• Posted

That's Uti's my phone kindly corrected to uni's :-)
  • Posted

Hi Susan, I too am trying to decide about HRT for VA. I am 56 and thus far have gotten by pretty well , I have some mood issues, anxiety and night sweats. Those I can deal with, Dr says the VA needs HRT, it's not going away and will likely get worse. I'm going to give it a trial soon. I'll keep you posted. 
    • Posted

Thanks Deborah, I'm inclined to agree with your Dr. I'm very alarmed at the idea of this getting worse! Let me know how you get on. 
  • Posted

Hi

I have just started taking oestrogen vaginal pessaries.  I have had too many UTIs in the last few years and that's why the doctor prescribed the oestrogen - to protect the urethra.  I have had blood in urine even when the urinary infection has cleared up.  It may be that this is coming from the vagina as a result of VA - I don't know yet.  The doc may refer me to a urologist for further investigations into my bladder.  I have had headaches for a couple of days on the pessaries and wondered if anyone else has experienced this side effect and how long it lasts.  Thanks,  Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.