I’m titrating my hydrocortisone but feel lousy. Need feedback from others

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had pituitary adenoma removed Feb 9th.  Cortisol level day after surgery was 1.6.  Started on 20 mg hydrocortisone am & 10 mg pm.  March 1 started decreasing by 5 mg every week.  Just completing 15& 5 and will start 10 & 5 tomorrow. How did others do during titration?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Seems really fast. How are you feeling? I weaned in 8 months. Only cut my dose 2.5mg each time. Would wait 2 or 3 weeks to see how I was feeling and cut again. Slow and steady and always listening to my body. Never had a crisis.
    • Posted

Yes it does seem soon as well as fast.  I have a cortisol draw Monday and am sure it will be low.  Very weak legs and absolutely no stamina which is pretty much how I felt before surgery 
  • Posted

Hi I would agree with the others.  The titration has to be slow.  Your body has been living with so much Cortisol that it needs to adjust slowly.  I took several months and now 5 years on still have to take 10/5/5/ a day probably for a long time.  Others come off it altogehter as the other replies have said.  Be patient you are on the road to being the old you again!
  • Posted

I basically turn into a zombie & become very dizzy, nauseous & faint when my levels drop or when I miss a dose. I'm too far gone to notice this so my family generally tells me because it becomes very obvious and I stop talking. I started at 20 & 20mg because my cortisol levels before surgery were 1742 & my case was considered severe. I'm now down to 5mg & 5mg and doing okay. I can't do some of the things I could before on the higher doses. I used to be able to run, even after surgery but now that's impossible. Your case sounds like a VERY fast titration. My levels only change every 6 weeks at minimum. If your body can't tolerate this pace that's okay, scale it back if you're feeling really lousy & ask your doctor about it. I know I have permission to take extra if I have an 'episode'.

• Posted

From what I understand there is what is known as the "sink bed rule" whereby if you feel lousy enough to just want to go to bed you may take extra Hydrocortisone.  I do especially when I am going for an op or a dental procedure.  You would have to check with your Endo.  I am still on 10/5/5.  If you have these episodes there is a lady on the forum called Cyclic Cushings.  I hope she will respond as she may be able to help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.