I'm to have a gallbladder operation.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've had gallstones for 30 years , my gallbladder is/was full of gravel, I didn't have my gallbladder out but managed the pain by what I ate over the years. 

I found that I could eventually eat anything in moderation without upsetting it but on occasions I did get pain , bearable enough not to be seen too. 

Then last November I started getting the niggling pains again and they got worse, so much so that by New Years eve I was in agony with constant pain, so after visiting doctor and being sent for a scan it turns out I have two large stones 1x2cm and 1x2.5 cm along with gravely stones. 

What I can't understand is why is my pain constant ? It doesn't go away and Tramadol only takes the edge off it. My first experience of pain all those years ago was tremendous pain lasting several hours then just a bruised pain afterwards till next attacks. 

Anyone else had this ?

im booked to see a consultant next week about having the operation and don't know what op I will receive till I've talked to him , but I think I'm too overweight to have the laparoscopic one and may have to have the normal op. 

Any help on this please ? 

Gill 😕

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, some people who are quite over weight still seem to have lap op so you might get that butII'm sure whichever you have long term you will be better than you are now. I had 2 x 2cm stones and I think the constant nagging pain is that the wall of the gallbladder rubs against them causing aggregation, or so someone told me and it seems quite logical. Hope you feel better soon .
    • Posted

Hi Octavia123 I've read that if your over 30 BMI you may not get it done , I'm 33 BMI  so hope that's not too bad. I did wonder about the stones rubbing so what you said makes sense , thank you for your reply 😀
  • Posted

Hi,I'm in the midlands uk, my bmi was 30.5 at my pre op appointment It was never mentioned as a factor in consideration of if it would be open or lap. The only consent was if we feel we need to change to open because of problems nothing to do with weight . I thought that it would only be impossible if very over weight. Good luck hope all goes well.
  • Posted

I have the same pain @Gillypoo and your right tramadol does just takes d edge off and I go c d op doc today to find out what I'm gonna do I think the emergency room doctor told me that had 3 stones in my gallbladder but didn't say how big they were so you and I are I n d same boat I just pray and ask God to help me threw the rest the pain the tramadol doesn't get so I'm going to keep you in my prayers and please take care of yourself and keep us posted on how everything turns out ok
    • Posted

Hi fergus1227

Thanks for your reply I go on 28th jan to see consultant so will let you know the outcome

I hope your not in too much agony are you on any diet to try and relieve your pain? I've cut down on foods that are fatty not that I ate many but hidden fats are awful.

Let me know how you get on..... Are you in uk or elsewhere ?

Gill.

• Posted

No Gullypoo I'm in d US and I will certainly let you know and right now I'm to drink plenty of water and dats pretty much it until I c dis doc they got me in pretty quick bcuz I've been dealing with it for a year and I never knew I had them I was like 279lbs and I'm now 201lbs I lost it in a years time so my losing weight is what caused my gallstones to cause me agony I know it sound funny but god works in mysterious ways he's unpredictable so I just ride with it lol god bless you gill but I'm on my way into d doctors office I will let you know my turn out when I get out of here ok
    • Posted

Well guys I have my surgery date is the 2nd and the doctor is gonna remove my gallbladder which I'm not concerned bcuz I've had good people such as you guys to prepare me and I appreciate all of you thank you so much I'm a little shaken bcuz I've never had to have surgery for anything besides having kids but it can't be any worst right?
    • Posted

2nd February????? Your lucky , here in Britain we have to wait months !!!!! 

Good luck you will be ok , don't go worrying ok. X

• Posted

Ok I won't I will try to stay calm, wow months that's crazy that yall got to wait months for surgery y months?
    • Posted

Our NHS is so bad that there are no beds available, no surgeons as they are all overworked , operations in uk are almost always being cancelled etc BUT if I paid for a private operation I could get it next week .... How bad is that ?
  • Posted

It maybe that your gallstones are stuck in a bile duct or gallbladder neck. My increased with pain when stuck in these places, life was miserable on daily basis. Best thing I did to have it removed. Just then give the body sometime to heal. Was told two weeks but takes longer.
  • Posted

Hi lovely, I hope by now your pain has started to settle down somewhat!

I had exactly what you described as far as pain goes for years and didn't even think it was anything to get checked on (I had been "diagnosed" with IBS since I was little and thought it was just my body complaining about food)

So when I got the constant pain/relentless pain that didn't leave for days (not hours) I was very confused and shocked.

It turns out a big fat stone was floating up and down, blocking and unblocking it's self from a duct. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.