I’m too scared to try anxiety meds because I’m worried I will gain weight. What can I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve suffered with anorexia since I was about eight years old and my eating is someone I’ve accepted is going to be an issue my entire life. Recently, I’ve began to suffer with extreme anxiety as well, not just over my weight and eating habits, but literally everything, which up until last year I’d never really experienced. It’s gotten to the point where I’ve cut off nearly all of my friends, barely leave the house and I’m not working. I know need to help myself but I’ve read a lot of reviews about different anti-anxiety meds and their links to weight gain, I’m so terrified of this and it’s stopping me from getting the hell I know I need. It’s a never ending circle. Can anyone recommend any ways I can try and help myself?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm the same have had shed loads of meds thrown at me , I've been inpatient 4 times psychiatric and ed unit . I am really struggling with the ed at moment and really bad anxiety, but my gp has put me on quetipine and I have been on it before. I'm the same as you look at side effects and weight gain sends your anxiety through the roof. I was on it before but because of other health issues had to come off it, but I didn't gain weight and it does help I'm also on diazepam, here to talk ok

• Posted

There’s lots of apps on mobile devices that help with things like this, and there’s TONS of different anxiety meds. I’d look up some apps to help with this, and maybe consult a doctor and ask about meds that DONT meds with your weight. I’m only 15. I’m terrified and get anxious when I approach anywhere near 90 Ibs, so I’m 73 Ibs right now. I promise you, medicine is not quite an issue! Just give it a try biggrin
  • Posted

Hi Hope. I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. Don't give up believing you can recover, full recovery is possible. I'd really encourage you to call Beat's helpline (the UK's eating disorder charity). It's open from 3pm-10pm every day of the year, and the helpline is free and fully confidential. If phoning isn't your thing, they offer all kinds of other forms of communication such as online chat and online support groups.

I experienced something similar, worrying about meds and weight gain. I used to be on an appetite suppressing/weight loss causing medication for my epilepsy (which I was encouraged to change for years). 

I was reluctant to change as it had controlled my epilepsy ever since being on it, and naturally my eating disorder had extreme anxiety about gaining weight if I changed.

I agreed to change a couple of years ago, under the proviso that I was supported by a dietitian to support me with any difficulties. It's taken time, and a lot has been to do with my recovering metabolism but I'm pleased to say I'm at a stable weight (within what is a healthy BMI band). 

I would be tempted to ignore reviews online because sometimes they don't provide the full story e.g. what other circumstances are to play in causing weight gain. I think it sounds like you need support with a dietitian as well as through your GP to work through this. If this is impacting on you socially, it sounds like you might need some therapy to work through this too.

Keep fighting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.