I'm too young!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm 17 and have had a slipped disk for almost a year now... I've tried physio, (private and NHS) and painkillers etc, but nothing works... My consultant told me I was too young for surgery (which was upsetting, because that's, from what I've heard, the best route). She only offered me two types of injections, which is a huge NO for me!! I have a really terrible phobia of needles, and even though they'd be behind me I can't do it. (My consultant even went as far to say that they'd have plenty of people to hold me down at the time, not joking as I thought she was, and that just made me cry...!).

I've been off work for months with it, and they're not too happy, and I can't do things normal people my age are doing! Has anyone else had experiences like any of these? Or do you have advice at all? If you do (and it works of course!) I'd be very tempted to send you a big bunch of flowers or chocolates or something! Anything to make the pain easier! (especially at night, as it keeps me up! sad )

Thanks a lot!

Rhi

x[/quote]

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about your pain and the needles - My boyfriends father and also a school friend of mine both had the op when they were 19 years old - it is not uncommon at all the have disc probs that young as I have found out. I am 34 and thought blimey I am too young for 'degenertive discs' - so lord knows how you feel!

As for you needles phobia - unfortunatelty if you do go down the surgery route you will have to have countless blood tests and injections to do with the op itself but I can tell you it's worth it to get rid of the damn leg pain and constant pill popping.

Lee

• Posted

hi rhi , so sorry to hear of your disc problem you,ve come to the right place! we know all about them eh. your awful young to have it but there it goes illness knows no age. I would try to persevere with the physio thing a bit longer but if your not happy ask for a second opinion, as lee said with the surgery route you,ll have countless blood tests and other tests but if your in that much pain as we all know how that feels perhaps you should ask about it as you,ve probebly noticed on the site there is a hell of a long wait to get things done. best of luck to you and we,re always hear if you need to have a moan :lol: gail
  • Posted

Thanks a lot for both of these, chocolates are in the post!! :lol:

But I've been getting it really bad this week, where I can't use my leg! Most of my leg goes numb, and the part I can feel hurts too much to lye down or sit etc... It comes on so suddenly when I'm trying to sleep or something. Any idea if this is a good or bad sign? I'd put up with it if it was good, but I can't help feeling it's bad!!!

Any help?

Thanks!!

Rhi

• Posted

Hi Rhi

I have exa\\ctly the same symptons mine is in my right leg, I ahve only been like it for 10 weeks now, am having traction and am having to do lots of exercises, I know what you mean about the night time as soon as I get into bed the pain is in my leg if I move, I tend to sleep on my tummy all the time and before I try to get up in the morning go up on your elbows and arch your back, have you exercises to do if not I have a shhet from physio perhaps I can copy them and e mail them to you, I am on the waiting list for a scan but have to wait another 4 months, hope this is of some help. like Gail said we are always here to chat

Jude

• Posted

Thanks, I will have those excercises if you don't mind. I had traction too, but only three times. It was getting worse after having it and didn't show any signs of getting better, so the physio gave up and signed me out of physio!! I felt a bit awkward actually... 'Right, Rhian, we've done everything we can, nothing else to do! Off you go!\"... I felt like he thought I was faking or something.

By scan do you mean an MRI scan? If so it's a really good idea. I went to the doctors for MONTHS before he even sent me for an x-ray!! The MRI showed the disk prolapse, and they could finally try things for me... Let me know how it goes, and how they're thinking of treating it!

Rhi

• Posted

HI RHI

Will gladly send you the exercises, I ned your e mil address, (email address removed by Patient Admin) if you want to e mail me back, I have just rung the hopital, I have been told it ill be January, so I am now going to look down the private road, in quite a lot of pain to-day, hope you are feeling ok , speak to you soon

Jude :cry:

• Posted

I have removed the email address from the above postings, as it is not our policy to publish addresses.

As you (judith) and not_so_super_rhi are both registered members of Patient UK, you can contact each other from the PM or Email buttons on the bottom of the postings, or send a PM from the Memberlist.

Patient UK Admin

• Posted

Hey Jude! :lol: sorry, please pardon the pun!!!

Admin deleted your email address, so I'm gonna try and get around it... not sure if it'l work or not!! (Email address deleted by Patient Admin)

Have they been working for you? I would defo go for the private route - it's amazing how quickly you get seen compared to NHS. I had a letter from NHS physio saying i'd get an appointment in 16 weeks, so my mum phoned private and they said I could go the next afternoon! I wouldn't be surprsed if you got seen in a week or two...

Well good luck with them, and tell me if you get a quicker appointment or not!!

Love Rhi

• Posted

PS I also had a bad day!! Been takin the old Co-Codamol all day, so i'm sleepy!!! And the pain's no better... Sorry yours was bad. How about we put my good right leg together with your good left?! And throw the bad ones in the tip or something?! :wink:

Hope you feel better!!

Rhi

• Posted

[quote:ceb1cf21ac=\"judith\"]HI RHI

Will gladly send you the exercises, I ned your e mil address, (email address removed by Patient Admin) if you want to e mail me back, I have just rung the hopital, I have been told it ill be January, so I am now going to look down the private road, in quite a lot of pain to-day, hope you are feeling ok , speak to you soon

Jude :

cry:[/quote:ceb1cf21ac]

hi judith what a wait! perhaps you,d be better off going private-the scan costs a bit though, you,d probebly be seen in a week or so bupa in cardiff does them think you need to be referred by the gp but they phone them and arrange if its private, i to have been having bad nights at the moment so my sympathys. take care gail

• Posted

Dear Members

As I mentioned above

[quote:3f23cc54df] I have removed the email address from the above postings, as it is not our policy to publish addresses.

As you are all registered members of Patient UK, you can contact each other from the PM or Email buttons on the bottom of the postings, or send a PM from the Memberlist.

Patient UK Admin[/quote:3f23cc54df]

This is the safest method, as it does not advertise your personal details.

Regards

Chimera (Patient Admin)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.