I'm trying and failing at dealing with genital herpes. Help.

Posted , 6 users are following.

So about 7 months ago I was diagnosed with herpes. I got it from sharing a damp towel with my mother who I recently learned had it. For the longest time I was scared and had no clue where I had gotten it from. I was hardly sexually active and only had safe sex. So I was very freaked out when I found out I had it. Since then I have been working on managing my outbreaks and coming to terms with it emotionally. I unfortunately have out breaks very frequently and take Valtrex daily. This however, hasn't been working very well. I still have outbreaks every couple weeks. It's so discouraging and has been taking a very huge toll on my emotional health and self worth. I know all the statistics and that it's really very common to have herpes nowadays, but its so discouraging.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Fyi, you can get genital herpes even with condoms. HSV2 infection via inanimate objects like towels is very uncommon. The towel would have had to have been in direct contact with lesions and used immediately afterwards by you, whilst still damp, on your genitals. Seems most unlikely. Oral HSV1 can pass more via inanimate objects like cups, but if you are having such frequent outbreaks, that doesn't sound like what you have (more like HSV2). Your mother may not be the source. You should both get tested and typed to know which HSV type you each have, if you don't know already.

• Posted

I know that it's HSV2 already, and that I got it from my mother (who also have HSV2). It was unlikely to happen, but that's what happened. All of my sexual partners were blood tested for both HVS1 and 2. All of whom came back negative.

• Posted

I fail to understand how you can get HSV2 from mother ? 

Herpes virus do not get transmitted from other objects. It needs a live mucous membrane to survive, such as in mouth or genitalia. 

• Posted

The more you stress, you'll continuously have an reoccurring outbreak. Stressing triggers it, don't let work you, you have to work your body and defeat it, take your meds when having outbreak, eat fruits, vegetables, drink water, exercise, soak in tub and make sure your ulcers are dry! I never heard of getting hsv-2 through a towel, very uncommon.

• Posted

Try red marine algae capsules ( I use the Pure Planet brand) and L- lysine (i use Quantum) capsules. They both help reduce outbreaks. I started the lysine with my first outbreak, and ordered the red marine algae on Amazon, and take it daily. And so far so good. 
  • Posted

I know how you feel about feeling discouraged, and how challenging it is to imagine living your life with this illness. But try to remain positive by focusing on something that you're passionate about, and manage the negative self-talk, about this affecting your self worth. You will overcome this hurdle, and move on to be the person you were always meant to be.

• Posted

Thank you so much, I really really appricate your kind words and advice. I'll go look on amazon now for those supliments! I'm hoping for the best and trying hard to stay positive. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.