i m very tensed about my husband as he was diagnosed as a case of barrett's oesophagus 2 years a

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi,hope you all are well...i m very much tensed about my husband,he is now 32 years old & was diagnosed as a case of barrett's oesophagus 2 years ago. already 2 endoscopy & biopsy done which revealed barrett's oesophagus without any dysplastic change.but i m very much worried as barrett's is a pre cancerous condition.now he is under treatment and doing good. he was a smoker but he gave it up 2 years back after diagnosis of barrett's & he is maintaining proper diet chart. i want to know, will all barrett's turn to cancer in future??? what does your physician say???

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Senjut

Please relax, not all barretts will turn to cancer........ especially without dysplacia..... your husband seems to be doing the right things and is under surveillance just like the rest if us...... he is in good hands.....nothing nasty will happen 😊...... enjoy the festive season with your husband.....all is good

• Posted

hello dhimi, thanks for your valuable reply....keep him in your prayer... & enjoy the festive...

• Posted

Right now it sounds like they're closely monitoring him and that will probably go on indefinitely.  I went to a large teaching hospital and my GI doctor happens to be an expert in the field of Barrett's treatment.  If you can, it might be a good idea to find a GI doctor of the same caliber.

Here is a quote from The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy:  "The risk of esophageal cancer in patients with Barrett’s esophagus is quite low, approximately 0.5 percent per year (or 1 out of 200). Therefore, the diagnosis of Barrett’s esophagus should not be a reason for alarm. It is, however, a reason for periodic endoscopies. If your initial biopsies don’t show dysplasia, endoscopy with biopsy should be repeated about every 3 years. If your biopsy shows dysplasia, your doctor will make further recommendations."In other words, his risk of developing cancer is very low.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.