I'm walking like a duck after bunion op - help!

Posted , 1 user is following.

:roll: I had both bunions done on Dec 15th 2007 (see earlier posts with pics, it's me) and all went fine, my plasters have been off since Dec 28th, and now my feet are stiff as boards, can't bend my toes, and I'm walking like a duck! Dr Spock (who frequents this site) kindly suggested some exercises, I've been doing these religiously, but I'm still having problems. Has anyone any ideas what would help - I wasn't given any physio by the hosp, and I'm no longer in any pain. It's my big toe joints, I can curl them under, but forget bending the other way. If I walk slowly, then I look almost normal, but a spurt of speed and I do the duck walk! I can drive ok, but would really like to walk properly again. Am I expecting too much too soon?

Any ideas very gratefully received! sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Its good to hear theres a little improvement and no pain thats cool. You should ask your GP to write chasing up some some proper physio smile

Ive only seen pictures of the operations not a real one but Im not surprised theres still some stiffness in the big toe joint as theres been some holes drilled, screws and maybe other metalwork used in there smile

Dont forget youve been walking for years compensating for the bunions now that theyre gone youll have to learn to compensate for them not being there smile

• Posted

Thanks! You really are good, you know, I think this site ought to pay you! I'll chase physio up with the gp on Monday, as you suggest, hopefully I can get some to do at home, as I have to go back to work next week and can't do with hanging around hosps again, don't have time! :ta: :smooch:
  • Posted

I hope they get you just a little physio, youve had £1000's worth of operations itd be a shame not to try and make it the best you can smile
  • Posted

I went to my GP and all he could come up with was \"go swimming\" and \"exercise them in the bath\" and said that apparently if the hospital didn't think I needed any physio then there's nothing he can do. He also said that physio is not normally needed after bunion ops, they get better on their own. So, I rang the hosp, who said virtually the same thing, and that it was early days, and I shouldn't expect to get back to normal for anything up to a year, (aaargh!) especially as I had them both done at the same time (against their recommendation). :oops:

So, I am devising my own - a combination of your suggestions, and a bit of what I've picked up online. As you say, I am certainly not going to waste ££££ worth of surgery, and will concentrate on gentle, but effective exercise. Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply, you have no idea how much it is appreciated! :magic:

• Posted

Thats ridiculous of course they need physio :roll: sad Your GP did hint at a good exercise though, pool walking smile

Anyway begrudgingly I guess theyre right in some ways but thats only because you are quite mobile, some folks who didnt know might have let them freeze up :?

• Posted

They where quoting a 13 month waiting list for physiotherapy (in some areas) on the news this morning sad
  • Posted

That's helpful, isn't it? I know the NHS is apparently cash-strapped, but, like you said, the ££££ spent on doing the operations is wasted if patients don't get the right aftercare, including physio, prolonging treatment and ultimately costing more long term.

My GP said physio for bunion ops is usually only offered to elderly people with limited mobility, as I am a very active person (3-4 times a week to the gym, work full time, never sit still etc) I don't qualify, so I'm going swimming later to try some pool walking!

Thank you again! :bluefish:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.