I'm weighing up surgery on my thumb joints

Posted , 148 users are following.

I have osteo arthritis of both thumb joints. I'm 70, still very active ( currently on a skiing holiday) and work full time in my business. My condition is getting increasingly painful. I get by with painkillers. I have seen a surgeon but I'm really concerned about the long recovery time. 

Has anyone here had basal thumb surgery and if so would you mind describing...briefly...what the surgery and recovery like and any complication. I would be most grateful.

Cheers. 

10 likes, 917 replies

917 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi caringbah, i'm from hornsby, nice to see another poster from australia.

was wondering if you know or can recommend anyone here in sydney that does mfr, 

i was following another osteo discussion initiated by susan67756, and they are having positive outcomes with the recommendations. i personally try to follow health alternatives opposed to doctors, mainly because i've had extremely unhelpful doctors, and didn't get anywhere in the years of my health declining, but now i'm looking into a few options and one is mfr, let me know if you knw anyone. thanks.

• Posted

Hi caringbah

I also have osteo arthritis in both thumbs and my right index finger. Have been receiving cortisone shots in the joints to help with pain but doesn't last long. Trying to delay surgery as long as I can since there is a lifespan on joint replacement. Don't want to take prescription drugs for pain and creams don't work but found an EXCELLENT splint for the thumbs recommended by my Ortho Doc that are not restrictive and eliminated the pain while wearing them.

I don't think I can give you the name here or where you can purchase them because it'll be deleted lol but if at all interested let me know and I can email you info =)

• Posted

Of course, inquiring minds want to know Kimmyincali.
    • Posted

Let's see if I'm allowed to post. They're called Push Metagrip thumb splints. Have allowed me to be completely pain free when using my hands.

• Posted

Yes I looked up the name.  It is a bit costly I suppose, over $100 USD.  I have an appointment with a new doctor tomorrow (2nd opinion)  See what he says and if he has different ides about the surgery.  Tomorow will tell!
    • Posted

What is the lifespan on joint replacement?  I am 51 years old and am considering the operation in both hands.  I work as an accountant and am at a desk up to 10 hrs per day.  I can not imagine working the next 15 years or so with this pain.  I do not want them to wear out, however.  I dont think it can be redone.
    • Posted

who who told you there is a life limit on finger joints? I have 2 and they last as long as they last and then they are replaced again.  Get the joint replaced asap you will be pain free. Leave it too long and you limit your joint options. 
    • Posted

I believe the lifespan of having basil from surgery is 25 years 
  • Posted

Hi I've had the surgery which was a success, however I've had multiple joint replacements,for Athritis and after this surgery have now found the Athritis has travelled to my wrist . The surgery is pretty straight forward, however the recovery time approximately 8 weeks was painful as my friend of 71 I'm 64 ,also found what I can say the pain from my thumb has become almost pain free. My opinion on you having the surgery is I think you would gratefully be a lot better having it than doing without.

Good Luck On whatever decision you make

Kevin 👍👍

• Posted

Am almost 76 and very active. Still a single digit golfer. Pain was increasing in both hands. Medication and cortisteroid shots that were extremely painful did not reduce pain. Opted for Basal Thumb surgery on non dominant left hand. Surgery was performed in late Sept. Was given general anesthesia.

First two weeks was in surgical cast/wrap. Not very painful. Never took the Pain meds I was prescribed. After two weeks wrap was removed as were stitches and hard plaster cast was created. After another two weeks, plaster cast and 2 inch pin that was inserted to stabilize thumb joint were removed and I started PT. Wear a Velcro, removable wrap at night and when driving to avoid injury from sudden movement. Joint is still quite painful, but have pretty good range of motion almost 6 weeks from surgery. 

Hope to play golf after 12-14 weeks. Will need to have other hand done, but will wait a year.

• Posted

Well good news Jack had mine done three months ago. Thumb is pain free but unfortunately I've now got Athritis in my wrist, but I suffer a lot from Athritis having shoulders knees and right big toe replaced, for me the op was good for my mate who is 72 it's been very painful and he wishes he wouldn't have had it done.

Good luck Jack

Kevin

• Posted

Hey Jack - please read my notes on my recent thumb CMC arthroplasty. The method used reduced recovery time by months! I really wasn't expecting to be able to anything for months but I'm already playing the piano (albeit, no runs), cutting food and typing (computer) are easy.  Still need to do exercises to get the door knob turning strength and pushing buttons with the thumb (i.e. car door opener) but I don't think those functions will take long. i am so happy with the outcome! The joint was so swollen and painful before surgery and now - it's not!

• Posted

I am scheduled to have the surgery but had no idea how long the recovery would be. I too play golf and was wondering if I could be playing in 3 months?
    • Posted

When I had my finger joints replaced it was about three months before I was allowed to do a full swing. You need to ask this surgeon, this is why I have my surgery done in the winter 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.