I'm wondering about getting a hysterectomy because I'm in pain with endometriosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 32 years old and have been having trouble with pain since I was 16 with endometriosis. I've been taking depo shot for 3 years now and my pain level is coming back strong and the shots are not working. My doctor wants me to either get one ovaries out or have a hysterectomy. I wouldn't mind just getting the one out that's giving me the most pain but I'm still going to have pain and have to do treatment. Is it better just to get it over with. And how long do you stay in the hospital with this procedure and how long out of work.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Felicia,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have had a full abdominal hysterectomy 6 weeks ago - the one remaining ovary I had left removed too. I was in hospital 2 nights and signed off work for 8 weeks - so I am still off now. It really depends on how they do the operation - if it is done laproscopically you could  be in less time. If it is just an ovary removal you will still be signed off - think it was about 6 weeks when I had my 1st ovary removed - but that was a long long time ago - and I went in as an emergency admission. 

It's a massive decision to make - but I also know that pain can rule your life. In my case it has been a good decision.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

• Posted

I went through a full menopause at 29 - sometimes it happens cry . Felicia did ask how long recovery time was from op - so I was only being honest.
  • Posted

You are just SO young. Surgical menopause can also cause a lot of problems. You didn't mention anything about having children? Can't they operate on your endo? Have they done a laparoscopy to view if it really is endometriosis? That's a major drastic step and there are lots of cases of a whole raft of problems following hysterectomy. I made it through from 14 to 50yrs old with terrible monthly pain & heavy periods. Had endo operation once. I was determined to try & retain my organs and I'm SO happy that I made it out the other end without taking drastic major surgery. I got a good Dr. & great pain relief to get there. Also a mirena for 5yrs. That gave me periods every 2wks but they weren't as bad as before it was put in. Taking your super young age into consideration, then I would be getting a better Gynaecologist which would give you 2nd opinion. There's too many Dr's who just prefer operating than spending time with patients to manage conditions rather than just rip it all out.

• Posted

Hi Felicia,

I would suggest that you get a second opinion.  You are young, but you have been living with this pain for 16 years.  It is a lot to ask you to continue doing it.  

The mirena coil seems to be very popular among doctors in the UK--but it has side effects as well.  Are you well-versed on what they are?  It doesn't work for everyone, either.

The other thing I understand about endometriosis is that the tissue can populate your abdomen, not just your uterus.  So, if you haven't already,  I would suggest that you do some research and study into the effects of having it; and what can possibly happen.

That way, whatever decision you make will be made in concert with your own knowledge about your condition, and  won't be made solely upon the advice of your doctor.

Best of luck to you!  Please let me know how you get on.  xx 

• Posted

have you had a laporoscopy to look at your endometriosis or is the doctor just assuming it is?   I used to have mine lasered away due to the pain via keyhole surgery which helped enormously, it does grow back after a time though so had to have the laser treatment a few times.  I've since had Novasure ablation (where they burn away the lining of your womb and stopping periods) and since then no pain or periods!  (I am mid 40's)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.