I'm wondering how you managed to get to the hospital after your injury.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Except for one of you mentioning being stretchered off a mountain-I imagine in excruciating pain-then air-lifted to the hospital, there has been nothing said about that problematic trip from the location where you suffered the insult to your ankle to your first medical evaluation.

I live in Southern CA next to the beach. Slipped on a wet (sprinkler) patch on stairs leading down to beach. Between the Lab I was taking down to exercise and the railing I was spared a long, possibly fatal fall, but managed to do something

wickedly painful to my left ankle.

Fortunately had my cell phone with me and called my son to bring me an old pair of crutches because I was unable to tolerate bearing weight on my injured foot/ankle. The trip into my building and up to the second floor-thankfully by elevator- was somehow managed, and I haven't left the apt since-10 days ago'

I think there's some slight lessening of the pain and a little less swelling. Doing RICE daily.

Did most of you go to the ER, Urgent Care or your primary physician at first ? And how did you manage the very real level of pain so you could stand the trip!?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Having broke my ankle in my home, and my mother was there with me, she assisted me to the car. I also put on a medical boot (I had from a previous surgery on the same foot 11 years previous) to keep my foot stable. I also used chairs as assistance to get through the house and to the car as, of course, my foot was NWB then off to the ER!
  • Posted

Hi.

The incident did make a magazine/ paper and I'll send you the link as I know they get removed on here. Yes I did get air lifted by helicopter to the Northern general hospital in Sheffield. I was given something for my pain by someone in the EDALE rescue team which put me on another planet. There was no way I could get up on crutches. I busted the lot with a dislocation. I was laid there with my leg shaking uncontrollably. Hope you are ok. Hugs.

• Posted

Hi.

I've sent the link to your private message box. It was obvious I'd broken my ankle do to the copious amount of pain and the dislocation. My ankle went one way and the foot the other. It was terribly deformed. Pain worse that having a baby. My leg was shaking uncontrollably. In fact I still have flashbacks. It was and still is in part a nightmare.

• Posted

I broke and dislocated my ankle while walking with my little dog on a muddy path about 200 yards from a road.  I rang my daughter then 999 because I heard a crack and I couldn't get up.  i sat in the mud 40 mins. the 3 ambulance men stretchered me to thier ambulance giving me gas and air and paracetamol.  They cut off my boot then drove me 35 miles to the nearest trauma accident and emergency hospital in Middlesbrough.  I was given a strong pain killer, Xrays and the ankle was relocated.

After that the waiting began over Christmas to have the operation to get the ankle fixed.

• Posted

I passed out after feeling severe dizziness and having afibs. Luckily I was in my house and managed to crawl to my cell phone and called my neighbor who is a nurse. She came right over and fed my dogs, put them in their crates and then called 911. Luckily she had a key because I don't think I would have been able to stand up to open the door. I now have a life alert button which my son immediately ordered. By the way, I am a former resident of Manhattan Beach

• Posted

Hi

I tripped on the top two steps going upstairs in my house. Husband called ambulance who arrived within minutes, set the leg in a splint, strapped me in a chair and and whisked me off to hospital. As I had a few glasses of wine prior to falling I can't actually remember feeling any pain at first which think was a blessing as hubby said ankle was at a 90 degree ankle and turning purple. That was just after midnight, was taken to accident and emergency then admitted to a ward and had my op about 10am where they fitted 2 plates and 12 pins. Nhs have been brilliant.

• Posted

I was vacationing in France with my daughter.  I fell in Chateau Chinon, Kings Arthurs castle.  I was walking down a stairwell, the stairs were eneven, unlite, no handrails, twisted my ankle and fell 6 more steps to a landing. My ankle swelled the size of a softball.  I couldn't move it. It was cold  and I started to get shocky and started to shake. My daughter ran out to the entry office to get help. Some other visitors gave me their jacket and tried to comfort me. The entry people came and checked me out and said this had happened many times in this same spot.  They called the paramedics.  4 of them came and lifted me into a chair and carried me up and out of the stairwell to an ambulance that took me to an ER.  They immobilized my leg with a blow up splint. It hurt a lot at first, then I think I went into shock. ER nurse asked if I spoke french, when I said no she said well I don't speak english she walked away. Being a nurse myself, I found this outrageous.  They xrayed and casted it.  I thought they casted it too soon, but they wouldn't listen to me.  I had an anxiety attack and they totally ignored me.  They gave me tylenol for pain and discharged me. Told me to be nwb, no crutches.  My daugther had to drive 3 hours back to where we were staying in Amboise.  I had to sit with my casted leg down.  It swelled so tight. By 9 pm that night we had to go find another hospital to have the cast cut to release the tightness.  My toes were turning purple and my ankle was throbbing.  The ER nurse was mean at this hospital too, again acting like they could not understand us.  Another paramedic helped us get in to be seen.  They made us wait until 4am to be seen.  The nurse that cut the cast had never done it before and burned my leg with the cast cutter. It was brutal. I asked for something for pain and the doctor acted like I was crazy.  She said What? You want morphine? (in a omg what are you asking tone) I said yes, if that's what you've got.  I need something more than tylenol.  Again, I have no crutches or wheelchair.  I stole the wheelchair from the ER out of total desperation. Because of the language barrier it added to the poor care. I was happpy to get to the US where the care is far better and they treated me with respect. 
  • Posted

Absolutely went to ER, pain was unbearable, evaluated, X-rays, pain meds. It's worth to get checked out, even though your managing there could still be a break. It ended up I needed surgery but this is not always the case. I wish you well. 👣
  • Posted

Hi Nyahsnanna,

I managed to fall down one step from the road to my front garden at about 11.30 pm after walking dog around the block.  Knew ankle was broken as pain was excrutiating and dislocation obvious.  Passer -by phoned 999 Ambulance and got my son down stairs. He had turned his mobile phone to silent and didn't hear my call.  He was somewhat surprised to find a total stranger on the stairs calling his name!   He  kept me warm undr a blanket and dry as it was drizzlling.  Luckily I was partly under the porch.  First responders came in about an hour - two strapping lads who got me indoors, on a chair and leg elevated, assessed my condition and reported to Control. ( First responders are not authorised to give pain relief.)  After about another hour the Paramedic arrived and reassesed my condition and phoned in a report.  She administered pain relief.  At about 3.30 the ambulance arrived and two more strapping lads fransferred me to a carry-chair and then to the ambulance and about a half hour drive to our hospital where there is  24 hour emergency service.  I had my op sometime that morning, don't remember much about the rest of the day.  I remained in hospital for three days.

For those of you not residing in the U.K, we have an amazing health care system here.  It is paid for by contributions made weekly by employed people and employers and is totally free at the time of need.  Therefore there was no charge for any of the services I received including the loan of equipment and transport home.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

I feel very lucky to be in New Zealand - our standard of accident care is just excellent.   A friend and I were moving my horse to a new grazing.   We'd just arrived at the new place, stopped on a steep drive.  I stepped out of the car and just slipped.   Simple as that.  Must have twisted somehow, heard the crack and knew it was bad before I hit the ground.   Told my friend to get my horse off the float   She is a Theatre Nurse and also knew it was bad, so she called the ambulance on her cell-phone straight away, then unloaded my wee horse and got him settled in.  I didn't dare move as the foot was just flopping off.   Ambulance people were awesome - gave me gas, then splinted the ankle and stretchered me on to the ambulance.  Gave me paracetemol and Tramadol on the journey into the hospital.   The gas was lovely lol.  

In hospital, was xrayed and then sedated while they temporarily set the ankle as best they could.  Splinted and stayed overnight.   The sent me home the next day as the swelling had not reduced enough for surgery.   Went back to hospital for surgery one week later.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. As others on this forum have noted, it makes you feel less alone and scared to know others have experienced-and survived- similar experiences.

I'm still amazed to learn that an unspectacular turn of the ankle can result in such a spectacularly complex and painful injury.

• Posted

That fact has amazed me also nyahsnanna.   Most of the people on here didn't do anything spectacular, just something quite normal and unspectacular, and then this horrible lasting injury!   A friend of mine who rides dangerous young horses did this also - she just tripped over the cat!   Another was out hunting in the bush and was walking across a little shallow stream - his foot went down a small hole and wham!   Just amazing.    
  • Posted

I broke my ankle in my driveway. I drove using it to the walk In. They wouldn't let me drive from there. My sister met me and transported me from there smile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.