I’m worried about going on Antidepressants!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’ve been to the doctors because I’ve felt nauseous and no time quite myself for a couple of weeks. I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Basically my doctor said I should go on antidepressants and this will take away all symptoms I feel. She said that once I start them I will have to stay on them for life, is this true? It’s worrying me because I don’t feel as though I have depression and if my symptoms get better and I feel back to normal again I wouldn’t want to keep taking antidepressants. What do I do? Does anyone know what my best options are?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello there. I have never heard of a doctor telling us we will be on AD's for life. But once I got on Prozac many years ago and my smile came back as my doc said it would I didn't care if I had to take them forever. My fear then became oh no what if they quit making them. Prozac quit working after about 10 years and I went on Lexapro and back came my smile. Now I had to try several before I found those two but that was ok with me. Good luck with your decision. 

• Posted

Yes I am with Adidiane as I have never heard of a doctor telling you that you would be on ad's for life.  I think maybe you might have misheard or misinterpreted it? 

If you don't want to take any tablets then don't as it is entirely your choice.  However if you want to start feeling a bit better then you might need a bit of help.  x

• Posted

Hi b26001 - sorry to read of your situation. Could I suggest a new perspective? A new doctor? The issue should be taken in steps. A diagnosis, a relevant antidepressant started at a low dose, tweaking where necessary, any relevant therapy that addresses your fears. You raise a precarious point also - giving up when you are feeling better. People do that and sometimes find they have not addressed any underlying issues, or not done it properly, and so the illness can rise again compounding the sense of uselessness of the individual and of life. 

Can I suggest you give the med a try at a low dose, allow it the time to be effective, and assess the situation then. Nothing is permanent, and other treatments are being developed - namely the Ketamine experiment, a potent anaesthetic sometimes abused as a recreational drug which is being trialed on depressed patients with what has been described as astounding results. Patients can experience a profound and instant lifting of the mood and effects last 4 - 72 hours, the issues at this point being the short efficacy of Ketamine and lack of knowledge about long term effects. There are alternatives to meds - St Johns Wort, Camomile Tea and Lavender to name a few. 

• Posted

Yes I’ve spoke to another doctor first and they have put me on nausea pills to hopefully help the nausea as I said I feel as though maybe because of how I feel it makes me feel upset, not actually depression. I have a couple of weeks as to decide what I would like to do however I don’t see AD’s being such a negative thing and as other people have said I should be able to healthily cut down on the pills over time if I feel I have been making progress. Thanks for your reply and your help it’s good to know that others are able to help!
    • Posted

Thank you for trusting us. We are always here for you and each other. She'll be right, mate. 

• Posted

May I ask you a question? Did you read and hear what Wayne said? I think what he said was brilliant and thought out as well as researched for you. Now you do realize this is a depression forum? Right? Good luck! Diane
    • Posted

I did indeed I think it’s hrest that he had gone into so much detail about it as it really had me worried, I’m thankful to everyone who has helped with this discussion!
  • Posted

Hi b26001, I refuse to take anti depressants point blank!  Here's why - I have been ill on and off since my dad died, my health has worsened and worsened.  I think the doctors have a tick box system, if you match any of their symptoms on it for depression they hand anti depressants out like smarties.  I wish doctors would deal with the underlying cause and not just sugar coat the truth.  The last doctor who offered me anti depressants was threatened with the phone being put down on them.  I am having really intense counselling, have a husband who has a new job, don't sleep at night and find life in general difficult due to a double disability and underlying illness.  What do the doctors expect?  That they hand out their smarties as you feel slightly fed up?  Nah I've never believed in antibiotics since being dumped on them and left years back.  Sorry, no help what so ever just a complete sceptic.  I prefer alternative methods of dealing with things like this! 

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your point on this topic though as I feel like it is one where everyone does see use in them. I agree with you when you say that the doctors just sugar coat the truth as it seems like they do. I just think I have been through a lot and it has hit me, I may need time to recover. Not that I have depression. But because it’s only a doctor I wasn’t sure and thought I would ask on here.
  • Posted

Hi B26001, I've been on anti depressants for the last 2 - 2.5 years. I think I should mention that they didn't take the problem away, they turned it down significantly though. I found for me that they dulled the worry, took the edge off of the little things that I'd over think. Meaning that I could get a good nights sleep which would then improve my mood the next day. I was very apprehensive about taking them at first (with all the side effects listed) but I am so glad I did, as it allows you to get a better perspective on things. If you support that with other things like talking out your situation it does help! I'm currently going through a bad phase at the moment but I'd hate to think what I'd be like without them now. Just thought I'd give you my point of view.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I’m still undecided whether to go on them or not. However the Doctor has given me 2 weeks to decide what I would like to do so I can see how I feel everyday and then decide whether to go on them or not. I feel as though it would help with the little things and for me to not worry so much. Thank you for your help!
    • Posted

It will take some time for them kick in and start working but they definitely turned down the worry/ over thinking/ ocd and irritability to the point I could do things again. They don't solve the problems though, I still have issues with motivation and some real low points but nowhere near as bad as before.

Matt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.