I'm worried I have a Personality Disorder and do not know how to approach my GP

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! I was diagnosed with depression 1 year ago since then I have been to therapy twice and have started another round of therapy, I've been taking 20mg of citalopram for about 5 months. I'm not too keen on my GP as I feel like he doesn't give me the chance to talk about everything but my practice is getting a new GP which I don't mind too much. I had a bad realpse with the meds after 2 months and have struggled ever since, but the GP isn't too keen about doing anythinga bout it. I saw a video about a girl with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) and she described her symptoms which fitted with me so well. I started looking into personality disorders and I know you should never self diagnose but I really do feel like there is more to my mental health problems then just depression. I'm worried I have a personality disorder and would like further investigation from the GP but I am not sure how to approach him about this as I don't want him to think I'm a hypochondriac. If anyone has any advice about this or how I can have so further assessmnets done it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have thoughts about tourtering and really hurting people for no reason what should i do?
    • Posted

I have had similar thoughts myself, however, I have read up about it and been told by a therapist that it is quite a common symptom of depression as sometimes you're mind is trying to lash out but is also internalising the anger because it makes yolu hate yourself for thinking these things. I've been told its about finding ways of expressing yourself without harming yourself or others. But obvioulsy if you are seriously worried I'd go speak to your GP. But honestly, I've had the exact and they were so quick to enter my mind that they shocked me but I'd never do anything to hurt another person so hopefully that comforts you a little smile x

• Posted

I have been recently been diagnosed as having ASPD (Anti Social). I am 45 years old. Like most other people I never sought medical help or advice. In fact I went of my way to avoid contact with doctors and hospitals as I was sectioned twice at the age of 14 and placed into the adolescent unit of a psychiatric hospital where their method of dealing with the kids there was to sedate us for any kind of defiance. If you wouldn't drink their sedatives they would forcibly inject us. This has given me a morbid fear of needles and a hatred and distrust of doctors and hospitals.The only reason I have been formally diagnosed now, at the age of 45, is because I suffered a major psychotic episode at the beginning of the year and some people I worked with took me to my GP as they feared I would take my own life (which was true. I did not want to be in this world any more. After years of depression, loneliness, always knowing I wasn't 'normal' just finally took it's toll on me. I was just tired of it all) and the doctor got the local Community Mental Health Team to evaluate me. I had a number of sessions with a psychologist before having to see a psychiatrist who diagnosed my illness. It's probably best to look up your local CMHT. I assume, if you were under 18 you would have already been seen by CAMHS. If you are fairly young in age seek help if you can. Because of my illness I have spent my life, since being a teenager, self harming, abusing drugs, hating the world and not being able to form any meaningful or lasting relationships. I have lied, stolen and cheated from all the people who cared about me. I have done horrible things. Unspeakable things. If you value your life seek help. Don't let yourself travel the road I have walked on. Because all you will find is pain, loneliness and the darkness. It's too late for me. Don't let it be too late for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.