I'm worried that I have fatal sporadic insomnia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been having problems sleeping for over a week and I'm worried that I have fatal sporadic insomnia, can anyone tell me what the early symptoms are so I can know if I have it

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrew,

This is a vanishingly rare condition that's only been diagnosed about 100 times since it was first identified 50-60 years ago. Even if you did have it - which is statistically very unlikely, to say the least - it would be absolutely impossible to diagnose it, or even tell you what the symptoms are, after a single week of insomnia.

Everyone goes through periods in their lives when they have problems sleeping, and it can be very upsetting. But there's no need to add to your anxiety by worrying that you might have a one-in-a-billion disease as well.

I suspect you're still quite young. By the time most people get into their 30s they'll have gone through a few sleepless periods in their lives, and they know this will pass.

If you can't set aside this fear, you should go and see a doctor - partly to get reassurance that this isn't what you have, but also to address your anxiety.

• Posted

ok, what kind of doctor and what kind of tests should I ask for
    • Posted

Andrew, It doesn't work that way. (I'm a former neuro nurse, incidentally.)

You don't go to your doctor asking for specific tests. You just go to a GP (PCP if you're in the US) and explain your symptoms and concerns. He/she will examine you and decide which tests - if any - you need.

Have you talked to your parents about it? I think that might be a good idea too.

• Posted

Well, to be perfectly honest, I think you're worried about nothing too. In fact, I know you are.

You're suffering from health anxiety, which is perfectly normal in teenagers. This will pass, and you'll get to sleep normally again.

• Posted

Hi Andrew 

Please stop worrying about this you DO NOT HAVE THIS! I haven’t slept well for years some nights no sleep at all. Not sleeping makes you feel tough in the day but will not kill you! FSI is so rare. My nephew is a Dr and he said no way would you have this it’s a lot more complicated than just not sleeping. When I went to my Dr about not sleeping he said insomnia never killed anyone ( not what I  wanted to hear!) but strangely reassuring. Your probably going through a bad patch at the moment but you will sleep eventually. The more you fret and panic about not sleeping the more you will stay awake. I know I have been there many times!!!

• Posted

My insomnia went away but now it's back again, is it still possible I have fatal sporadic insomnia

• Posted

Would you even worry about this disease if you did not have the internet? The answer would be no. It's easy to google and then worry yourself silly over extremely rare diseases. Also you say your insomnia got better well with this disease it doesn't, it gets progressively worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.