I may have been over icing my new knees. Has anyone ever done that.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a bilateral knee replacement on Monday and someon told me to ice as much as I can. Well apparently that's not good advice. My legs were swelling even more. I am now only icing every hour or two for about 15 minutes. I feel like I lost a day as it was way to stiff painful and hot to do anything with. Any icing advice?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Less than a week has passed. . . and honestly, losing a day is pretty unimportant when you consider how long it is going to take to complete the recovery!  Swelling, stiffness and pain is obviously to be expected at this stage . . .  Most people find regular icing to be good for the swelling, but personally I was always so cold due to the blood thinning drugs that I couldn't face doing it more than when the pain became particularly bad. I think it's a very personal thing. . .Most people find raising the leg helps with the swelling too, but I have to admit I spent most of the day with the knee bent, in a sitting position, and it doesn't seem to have done me any harm!  so, whatever seems best for you I would think.  A bilateral!  wow, I SALUTE YOU!  good luck with your recovery, and in the main, listen to your own body.  Keep moving as much as possible though . . without stressing yourself. Rest is also important for healing. 

• Posted

As we can see on here, we are all different in how this tkr experience works for us. If you find what balance of icing works then go with that I guess.

?In my UK hospital, they did not give out ice or encourage elevating the leg at all. In fact we were encouraged to sit out in a chair with leg down to get it bending! I am not suggesting this is right or wrong, just their policy. Once home, I soon had my leg elevated with ice applied and such a relief. I have not had the best recovery, so I don't know what helps for sure, but I do know I had poor pain management due to being intolerant to most meds and the GP not being willing to prescribe anything strong. I suspect that restricted my exercise capacity.

?I have read generally that about 20 mins at a time is enough for icing, or it may slow down the circulation and prevent a degree of necessary inflammatory response that is part of healing, but there are those with other ideas so you can reseaarch this online and decide what you feel aligned to.

?I just go by how I feel, sometimes i do more icing than others. Good luck and well done - bilateral sounds brave!

• Posted

I too had knee replacement last Monday 5th

Ice Ice Ice

Elevate Move Rest

Not Worth Rushing There's Plenty of time

😊

• Posted

Hi

I iced all the time except when I was in a hot bath, which was 2 to 3 times a day in the first 4 weeks.

The stiffness started to get less at 10 weeks for me.

Regards

• Posted

It amazes me how you were able to get in and out of the bath!  I had a walk in shower, and found that hard enough.
    • Posted

In a bathtub? Wow!! Still can't get in s tub and I'm 10 weeks pre-op!! Good for you!!!

• Posted

I had bilateral done at the  same time, My surgeon advised constant icing for th first 2 weeks 20 minutes of ice 40 minutes rest and repeat all day. My legs did swell more it is just the process. my husband actually photographed them every couple of weeks. You have to remember when they first do the surgery you have drains in. Then the drains are removed so they will get larger before they start to go down. I am now 14 weeks and my knees are still swollen. Keep on icing them to keep the swelling and internal brusing down. Imagine the size they would be if you had not been icing them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.