I might have scabies

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im an emt and someone i worked with caught scabies. She was telling me about her treatment and i had been really itchy for about a week. I had non raised red itchy spots all over my legs and some on my upper arms and back I went to a doctor(not my pcp) and he didnt even look at me closely just looked from across the room and gave me permethrin cream. I did 3 treatments in 3 weeksm So 2 weeks later i still had spots and was itchy so i went to a dermatologist and he examined me. With a dermatoscope.He said i had folliculitis and recommended i use bar soap.

I dont have any new spots(i dont think). But i have a persistent itch on the outter aspect of my thighs and sometimes on my legs but im able to sleep at night.

Should i go back to the derm or?!?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zach

Folliculitis is common after scabies has been resolved/cured.  It can persist for months.

Folliculitis is difficult for a post scabies patient to deal with psychologically because it can mimick the symptoms of scabies. You may get more spots and itching over the next number of weeks or months.

I would trust the dermatologists conclusion and just wait it out.

• Posted

I agree with Midnight Rider. 

The post scabies definitely plays mind games on you. 

It when you see new tracks that you should start to worry if it was scabies and if they’re back. 

Thise are the tell tale sign they are alive and active again. 

If it’s still kinda itchy at night try taking an antihistamine before bed. It helped relieve my itch at bed. 

Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.