I need advice if I should ask my doctor for a iron infusion

Posted , 5 users are following.

My saturation to my iron is 13

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Are your iron and ferritin counts low. My iron count was 6 and ferritin level didn’t register and I got 2 iron infusions and feel like a new person 
    • Posted

Mine is 40 but my saturation is 13 I don’t understand what I should do 
  • Posted

Mine is 16 after the infusions and only 3 before.  I am by no means a dr and am only going by what I went through but I would think your dr would try iron pills of some kind.  Hemoglobin and iron have to be really low.  My hemoglobin was at a 7 and iron at a 6.  It was bad.  The injections are very expensive 
    • Posted

Also iron level of 40 is within the range so they probably won’t even want u taking iron pills.  Too much iron can be a problem also.  My saturation is always gonna cause a problem but just have to keep an eye on hemoglobin and iron.  I passed out a lot and couldn’t catch my breath or barely walk when iron was so low.  It was horrible 
  • Posted

If you are in the UK you are entitled to an iron infusion when your iron drops to under 7. What is your iron and the range given?
    • Posted

yes definitely need the iron number and ferritin and hemoglobin.  Low iron is horrible and if it keeps dropping every day activities become almost impossible 
  • Posted

My iron fell to 5 at one point 5 months ago but an iron infusion was still not advised by the haematologist. My anemia has improved four months on but I couldn't take prescription iron as it totally upset my system. I raised my levels to just under 10 with Spatone and Floridix. I'm still anemic but feel a lot better and try to eat as many iron rich foods too. It is my understanding that iron infusions are rarely prescribed in the UK!

• Posted

If you feel tired, and your iron saturation is low - find a practitioner who is willing ling to listen to you and come up with a solution. Have you tried tablet iron supplements before?
  • Posted

Also, just keep in mind that certain iron solutions work for certain people. For example: I have tried iron tablets and they did nothing to raise my ferritin from 0. For that reason an iron infusion has been recommended. In SA the medical aid covers the procedure - and I am desperate. My degree is becoming intolerable!
    • Posted

I couldn’t take the iron tablets either. They made me vomit.  So I tried liquid iron and it was fine but my levels kept dropping.  So finally they gave the injections and it has worked for now.  Many side effects and now believe it or not I am struggling with learning to live without feeling like death everyday and that is hard.  It’s like adjusting to a whole new life and the docs don’t want to talk about the psych part of this.  As a psych major I tend to talk to myself a lot now.😣

• Posted

I couldn’t take the iron tablets either. They made me vomit.  So I tried liquid iron and it was fine but my levels kept dropping.  So finally they gave the injections and it has worked for now.  Many side effects and now believe it or not I am struggling with learning to live without feeling like death everyday and that is hard.  It’s like adjusting to a whole new life and the docs don’t want to talk about the psych part of this.  As a psych major I tend to talk to myself a lot now.😣

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.