I need advice on unwanted facial and body hair.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to gain some insight and advice on a problem I have with PCOS; I get daily unwanted body hair (particularly bad around my chin and neck) as well as around my nipples, stomach and thighs. I've been to see a doctor who has said they could potentially have laser hair removal done but it would require me to grow out the hair for two weeks minimum. 

Mentally, I don't think I can do it. I have to daily (sometimes twice a day) pluck the hair from my face and use a face shaver for the parts that are less rough. The idea of having to leave the hair for two weeks in view of people frightens me. I can't imagine I'll be able to go to work with the hair so visibly on display. Each day is already a struggle when I feel it growing back in. I'm only 21 and I suffer from anxiety too, which makes this all the more difficult.

I would love to hear from women who have or are experiencing the same thing as me, and would love an honest answer or your thoughts. I don't want to waste the NHS time but at the same time I know I can't keep this up forever. 

Please help?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

Hope you’re well. I really understand your pain. I have been struggling with excessive hair growth since I was 11 and I’m now 25! A few years ago I paid nearly £2000 on laser hair removal which for me did not work (even though they said I have the best type of hair for it). Although if I had continuted the top ups this may have been different, they didn’t actually go through the next stages with me though. I have finally been referred to the NHS and had my appointment last month where they have written to my doctor to put me on metformin. I am going to the doctors on Thursday hopefully for this prescription. 

It really is a tough one, laser hair removal doesn’t work for everyone and it is not funded on the NHS. Would it be possible for you to dye it a lighter colour whilst allowing it to grow? 

You wouldn’t be able wasting their time however they don’t seem to take PCOS seriously unless you are trying to conceive 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.