I need advice on what could be wrong with my knees...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I began exotic dancing over a month ago. After day 3 my left knee started to give me problems and I noticed while straddling during couch dances, it was painful to get up and knees were grinding... I stopped exotic dancing immediately. But continued with my serving job. Now after favoring left knee my right knee has begun to develop similar issues. I cannot work and feel my life is ending...

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like cartilage damage and maybe a little arthritis. I would get to an orthopedic surgeon, get both xrays and mri so you can have a correct diagnosis and prognosis. Often times early physical therapy can delay more serious problems. Meanwhile, rest when you can and dont put any more strain on your legs than necessary
    • Posted

I saw doctor 1 on Dec 4th and even before the xrays I did not trust him. Went to doctor number 2 but was only able to see the PA. He seemed very knowledgeable and concerned I've damaged my meniscus but was confused when he said it was fine for me to work. He also did not recommend a brace. I told him I wait tables which can often times be very demanding as I'm on my feet constantly for 7 hours a shift moving around tables. This baffled me so I continued on with work only to now have an injured right knee. I'm waiting for MRI to be done in the next few weeks but the waiting and not being able to work is making me crazy and I feel as if I've ruined myself. I'm also hesitant if this is the right doc for me...
    • Posted

I don't know where you are and local protocol for finding a doc but I sure do not comfortable without getting an orthopod involved. Try using ice packs for 20 mins at a time to get some occassional relief. An anti inflammatory might help with the pain but isnt anykind of permanent relief.
    • Posted

Do you think I've done some permanent damage? I am just sick that both knees are now bothering me. I've been icing and cut back on any activity that bothers them. My next appt is with the physicians assistant again. The physician is an orthopedic surgeon but I guess is very busy as I'm always seeing his assistant...
    • Posted

A retired friend of mine was a tiler, and in his own words he spent "40 years on his kness" with the result that he was wheelchair-bound and in pain, and metal knee replacements were suggested. Before committing he decided to have a holiday, and went off to Thailand, where he was recommended to try PRP therapy. They took a little of his own blood, put it in a centrfuge to separate out the white blood cells, then injected them into his knee. After 7 days he is out of the wheelchair and walking with a cane. He will have 3 more treatments about 1 week apart, but already saying it's amazing. Apparently it rebuilds the cartilege between the joints. Check out if it's applicable to your case and available on the NHS. In any case, good luck!  
    • Posted

Its really too early to believe that you have done permanent damage. You haven't mentioned your age and how long you have been in the job that requires the pounding you are taking by being on your feet. There are injections such as cortisone and synvisc that can give relief. At this point, try not to worry until you get the results back from the mri. You are doing the right thing by taking heed early on and not letting it get to advanced stage before acting. My 1st reaction is that they will try the least invasive and most trauma free solution, physical therapy.
    • Posted

I'm 34 I've been waitressing for 13 years now. I'm pretty sure I have a folded over meniscus at this point and am wondering whether it's worth it to spend $1300 for MRI and follow up appt just for them to tell me I need pt ... Thoughts?
    • Posted

I doubt it they would attempt to repair a meniscus without the mri to guide them. I assume you are I'm the US and are in the current predicament of unaffordable-minimum Health care program. If it is meniscus, that is a fully repairable. Small surgery, short term aftercare and a few sessions of PT. Only you can make that decision but the better the Ingo the better the conclusion
    • Posted

Health care here is a mess. I'm losing faith quickly in the practice that I've been going to. I'm having scheduling issues and they want to charge $5 to get a copy of my MRI on a disc even though I'm paying $700 for the MRI

Also they insist on scheduling me to see the physician assistant and not the actual doctor and I don't know why they are doing this.

• Posted

Its a new way of cost cutting. I have seen a PA for my 1st checkup/stitch removal etc after surgery. She then makes recommendations to Dr. I'm in Kansas City area, where are you located.

I have a grandson working o n his PA degree. He opted on that in lieu of RN as it seems to be the coming trend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.