I need advice on whether or not to do both hips at the same time

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please help-rather terrified I won't be able to walk again and of the long road to recovery!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm assuming your in the UK? They have done many, many hip replacements, so that means they are pretty good at them. As long as you take your rehab seriously and follow the physio post surgical advice, I wouldn't worry. I'm also assuming that you are in some pain right now. Look forward to it being mostly gone when you wake up after surgery. I, personally would do them both at the same time. Seems easier to go through all that (surgery, anasthetic, physio, hospitol stay, etc...) only once rather than twice. Yes it will be difficult, but that will only be temporary. Be positive and optomistic.
  • Posted

I think you should have them done one at a time. If you get a spinal anesthetic, you will wake up pain-free from that hip. However, it also paralyses your bladder and, nearly a year after my hip replacement op, I am still undergoing investigations of that problem!
  • Posted

Hi Serena...I had my right hip done 5 days ago and although everything is fine I cant imagine having both done at once...I'm hoping I can last another year or two before having to get the other one done but this experience certainly hasn't put me off...lots of useful help and advice on here too!! Make your decision and just go for it...stay positive!! Good luck..Chris
  • Posted

Feeling really good today....full nights sleep and its my birthday!!! Bring on the next 5 weeks!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.